Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: D.E Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

New Jersey

D.E Leak

Hello Everyone,

I'm new at this so please bare with me if this seems like a newbie question. I recently cleaned out my D.E. Filter and assembled everything back together. I put in the recommended D.E but now have most of the D.E coming out of the return line. I read that this usually happens if I have a tear or rip in the filter. So I re-opened the filter tank and inspected the filter. I didn't notice any tears or rips but for some reason it seemed not a lot of D.E was on the filter. I did some research on the filter itself and noticed that this filter comes with an air bleeder tube. My question is what is this pipe used for and I noticed the new air bleeder pipes have a mesh at the bottom. The previous owner had a capped pvc pipe in there and I didn't think it was important so I left it out and now I'm wondering if this could be the cause of my D.E leak? Also should I purchase a new bleeder tube instead of using the capped one the previous owner used? Any information or help would be most appreciated. BTW I have a Pentair Quad 60 D.E filter.
    Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

Re: D.E Leak

You are on the right track, so i don't think you need any advice! If i remember, those have a rather large diameter air bleed tube, so, it could pass fair amount of DE back to the pool if you don't have the mesh piece on the tube.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.