Is it algae? Or just dirt?

May 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi
Big fan of this site and the TFP method - 4 years!

Pool is open - there is something on the walls (30k gunite) that looks like a shadow - a little darker than surrounding areas.
It seems to brush off easily (well, brushing isn't really easy is it?) then looks like silt drifting in the water but the robo vac does not remove it.
Waiting to see if it comes back.
Can't really get a good pic.

Is it dirt? Silt? Algae?
Does anybody know of vacuum-powered/rotating/oscillating scrub brush that would make it easier to scrub the walls on a regular basis?
Thanks,
Steve

FC 5.5
CC 0.5
Ph 7.6
TA 95
CH 150
CYA 30

There are varying examples of each, but often times gritty is dirt, squishy is pollen, and slimy is algae. Green algae usually floats in the water and turns the entire pool a murky green. Mustard algae is a yellow green color and usually grows on the walls and floor mostly on the shady side of the pool. Pollen and dirt tends to accumulate in drifts on the floor in places with slower circulation and can often look fairly similar to mustard algae.

In the end, the best way to know if you have an algae issue is to perform an overnight (OCLT) test. If you pass the OCLT, then you might look at other things like a skimmer sock, water circulation, etc.

Not sure about a powered brush but I have a Wall Whale that makes getting the walls much easier than a conventional brush. It's a simple idea that works great there's a fin on the brush head that helps push the head against the wall as you brush. If you get one I would go with the "classic version" because the tail is bolted on the brush head and could be possibly used on another brush when you wear the original out. It's a little over $30 on amazon for nylon or $65 for combo.

You may still be adjusting things as you start up for the season, but as a side note, I did notice that your CH is lower than recommended. I would raise that to 250-350 (range for a non-SWG pool - you may want to add your method of chlorination in your signature). Having it at 150 for a plaster pool for an extended period of time will cause the water to leach calcium out of our plaster, which can be problematic over the long term for your plaster's longevity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.