Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ammonia Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Ammonia Test Kit

We have a customer that thinks they may have ammonia in their pool water due to spraying of crops near by. This is what their pool store has told them, but we want to make sure this is accurate, can anyone suggest a test kit for testing for ammonia in pool water?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ammonia Test Kit

A pet store should have aquarium ammonia test kit strips

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Search Results

Here are some from Pet Smart.

Let us know if they do not have access to a pet store and we have another way to "test" if they have it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

cowboycasey and kimkats thanks so much!

5. Back To Top    #5

Now that the answer is out of the way are those your donkeys in the avatar?
    Here's mine

Attachment 35555
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Do they like waffles? .
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

PoolDV Yes those are donkeys in my avatar we have two mini's they are awesome and do a great job mowing the yard I tried to view your attachment but it would come up for me, I would love to see them!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Do they like waffles? .
    LOL! Prolly!

Quote Originally Posted by patrick3229 View Post
    PoolDV Yes those are donkeys in my avatar we have two mini's they are awesome and do a great job mowing the yard I tried to view your attachment but it would come up for me, I would love to see them!
    Dang that attachment! Nice! We've got 4 yard mowing, heehawing pasture ornaments. We were up to 8! Had to separate the boys from the girls!

attachment.jpeg
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Search Results

Here are some from Pet Smart.

Let us know if they do not have access to a pet store and we have another way to "test" if they have it.

Kim
    Spray from crops sounds pretty far fetched, but there are a lot of other ways to get ammonia.

This is a key test for aquariums, so any place with fish or pet products should have it. I have a kit with the drops. I don't know how well the strips work, but I would look at the scale on any of the tests. I think I had a good low end, but then it jumped like 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0... So if you get one of the higher readings, be prepared for a lot of chlorine just to be able to get a reading.

I just went through this and a good rule of thumb is to multiply your NH3 reading by about 12 and that should give you about how much FC on the calculator you will need before you can start raising FC. So a reading of 2 is approximately 24 FC worth of bleach. I was adding and testing and it came down pretty close to this amount each time.