Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: comparing test results... thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sioux City, IA

comparing test results... thoughts?

Hi all, new here.
    Our pool is a 28ft round 52" deep dough boy that came with a house we purchased last year. I am currently only using liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and borax. We had the start of an algae bloom 3 weeks ago. I used HTH's green to blue and have been vacuuming to waste, refilling, trying to maintain a high FC level (using about 1 gallon of 10% a day at least). The water is clear as can be, BUT I just can't seem to get rid of the darn bugs! Backswimmers and boatman, probably a hundred or so. I decided to take water sample in to see if there was something my cheapo test kit was missing. I have two local stores that test my water for free. I took the same sample (about 20oz.) to both places on the same day within about 20min. These are my results...

Store #1
    Temp - 70*F
    Saturation Index - 0.53
    Free Chlorine - 5.4
    Total Chlorine - 6.2
    Combined Chlorine - 0.8
    pH - 7.7
    Hardness - 446
    Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer correction) - 177
    Cyanuric Acid - 9
    Copper - 0.1
    Iron - 0.2
    Phosphates ~ 200

Store #2
    Temp - 75*F
    Saturation Index - 0.7
    Cyanuric Acid - 32
    Total Chlorine - 4.3
    Free Chlorine - 2
    pH - 7.7
    Total Alkalinity - 170
    Total Hardness - 446
    Copper - 0
    Iron - 0

Both locations had recommended a foaming algaecide, some more muriatic acid. However Store #1 suggested that I may have to consider some expensive phosphate removers. What do you think about the numbers? any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: comparing test results... thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

We don't believe either one. We also don't recommend algaecide or phosphate remover.

We recommend buying a good test kit and testing your own water, Pool School - Test Kits Compared, I use the TF-100 from

Start here in Pool School, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    And then here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: comparing test results... thoughts?

+1 what pooldv said. Over the years, we have seen so much bad testing coming from pool stores, we simply discount them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School