Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: comparing test results... thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

comparing test results... thoughts?

Hi all, new here.
    Our pool is a 28ft round 52" deep dough boy that came with a house we purchased last year. I am currently only using liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and borax. We had the start of an algae bloom 3 weeks ago. I used HTH's green to blue and have been vacuuming to waste, refilling, trying to maintain a high FC level (using about 1 gallon of 10% a day at least). The water is clear as can be, BUT I just can't seem to get rid of the darn bugs! Backswimmers and boatman, probably a hundred or so. I decided to take water sample in to see if there was something my cheapo test kit was missing. I have two local stores that test my water for free. I took the same sample (about 20oz.) to both places on the same day within about 20min. These are my results...

Store #1
    Temp - 70*F
    Saturation Index - 0.53
    Free Chlorine - 5.4
    Total Chlorine - 6.2
    Combined Chlorine - 0.8
    pH - 7.7
    Hardness - 446
    Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer correction) - 177
    Cyanuric Acid - 9
    Copper - 0.1
    Iron - 0.2
    Phosphates ~ 200

Store #2
    Temp - 75*F
    Saturation Index - 0.7
    Cyanuric Acid - 32
    Total Chlorine - 4.3
    Free Chlorine - 2
    pH - 7.7
    Total Alkalinity - 170
    Total Hardness - 446
    Copper - 0
    Iron - 0

Both locations had recommended a foaming algaecide, some more muriatic acid. However Store #1 suggested that I may have to consider some expensive phosphate removers. What do you think about the numbers? any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: comparing test results... thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

We don't believe either one. We also don't recommend algaecide or phosphate remover.

We recommend buying a good test kit and testing your own water, Pool School - Test Kits Compared, I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.

Start here in Pool School, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    And then here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: comparing test results... thoughts?

+1 what pooldv said. Over the years, we have seen so much bad testing coming from pool stores, we simply discount them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School