Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 16x 48 with 2 inlets and 1 outlet... adding skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

16x 48 with 2 inlets and 1 outlet... adding skimmer

I plan to install the skimmer tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do with the 2 inlets once I install the skimmer... from what I have researched most people use the skimmer as the only inlet... I plan to hard plumb the pool and was thinking I connect one of the inlets to the skimmer with a T and cap off the 2nd inlet... any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    16x48 Intex AGP, Intex SWG,
    2800gph intex sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 16x 48 with 2 inlets and 1 outlet... adding skimmer

I kept both inlets. The first inlet I "Teed" off of my skimmer, for vacuuming. Both have valves so I can control skimmer vs vacuuming to the filter. I kept the second to supply water to my water feature pump ( my old intex pump).
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

3. Back To Top    #3

Once I upgrade the pump and filter I was going to T one inlet with the skimmer and use the second inlet and the old pump for a homemade solar heater. Right now I left the hoses and plunger valve hooked to them to keep the water in the pool
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

4. Back To Top    #4

I like having the 2nd inlet in case something is wrong with the skimmer (clogged) or the water somehow drops enough that the skimmer wants to suck air. It protects your pump.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by philc View Post
    I kept both inlets. The first inlet I "Teed" off of my skimmer, for vacuuming. Both have valves so I can control skimmer vs vacuuming to the filter. I kept the second to supply water to my water feature pump ( my old intex pump).
    Thank you for the info. I also plan to add a fountain and solar heater and had plan to Tiffin the off of my return having a valve for the return, the heater, and the Fountain... is there any reason you used the old pump?
    Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

I wanted a separate system for the water feature with its own timer. I also did not want to fire up the 1.5 HP main pump just to run the fountain. I also used it just because I had it on hand.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

7. Back To Top    #7

Running into same problem/question. Was thinking of installing skimmer where one inlet is, and keeping other inlet in place. Running pump through both?

Thoughts on that setup?

8. Back To Top    #8

That is ideal. I have that setup and love it.
    You can control the skimmer power by the valve on the other inlet. If the skimmer gets clogged or its door gets stuck, the other inlet can let enough water through so the pump doesn't start sucking air through the skimmer.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdtucson View Post
    That is ideal. I have that setup and love it.
    You can control the skimmer power by the valve on the other inlet. If the skimmer gets clogged or its door gets stuck, the other inlet can let enough water through so the pump doesn't start sucking air through the skimmer.
    Pictures? I'm hoping to do this mod this weekend. I have hi salt and need to drain some water so this would be ideal.

10. Back To Top    #10

here's my setup...kept the original inlet.Installed new place for skimmer. kept original outlet.installed 2nd outlet too. all have their own valves .inlet & skimmer are teed together.both outlets are teed together.
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's mine. Original outlet on right. Added skimmer. Original return on the left.
    2016-07-07 14.28.24.jpg
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG