Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much vacuum hose do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much vacuum hose do I need?

How do I determine how much vacuum hose I need? I have an L shaped pool, that's 38' on the longest side. We'll be doing a manual vacuum for now, I guess I'm going to go with something like on of those flat vacuum heads with wheels.
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much vacuum hose do I need?

If manually vaccuuming, you only need enough to reach from your skimmer (assuming that's your attachment point) to the farthest point in the pool from there. If you have multiple skimmers and don't mind moving the hose, that would decrease the length needed. If you go to a suction side pool cleaner, you'll need a hose long enough to reach from where you attach it to the farthest point from there in the pool. Many times in this case it's planned as part of the build with a dedicated suction line near the center of the pool on the wall with a booster pump to run the cleaner.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How much vacuum hose do I need?

Very helpful, thank you. Eventually we hope to get our in-floor system up and running, but a manual vacuum will do for now. We have 3 skimmers to which we could attach, so moving around the pool with the hose is doable.
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.