Filter Pressure compared to Pump Size

Hello - My pool has hovered around the same filter pressure of 10-12 PSI since install 10 years ago. My pump is a 1 Hp and is located 10 feet from the outside edge about 4' above the water level. Pool is 18x36 with 1.5" PVC Piping. Obviously the pressure hasn't been a big issue considering it has worked fine and still does. My question is would it be a bad thing to go to a 1.5 Hp variable speed or two speed pump? Are there any drawbacks to increasing the pump motor size other than 1.5 hp uses more power. Opinions and advice are appreciated.

A bigger pump would cost more and use more power.

Why do you think you need more flow?

Consider just putting a 1HP 2 speed on your existing pump. Then no plumbing and you can run on low to save $ on power.

If your filter pressure never rises, that must mean you do a good job of maintaining chemistry and have limited problems with dust or pollen or other debris in your pool. Or your gauge is broken. :p Do you ever backwash? If so, when?

With your size filter, you could likely handle the extra 0.5 HP without flow going to fast through the filter. Filtration is better when it's not too fast and being way to fast can lead to channeling of the filter, which would decrease it's ability to filter. Is there a reason you're looking to upsize the filter? Better circulation? Eliminate your booster pump?

If you do go to a larger size pump, consider a 2 speed or variable speed pump to increase your flexibility with flow and reduce electricity costs, especially with a SWG system that may necessitate longer runtimes for proper chlorination.

I backwash about once to twice a month depending on if it needs it. Usually after a 3 - 4 psi rise in pressure. The only swimmers are myself and my wife. I work from my home office so keeping it clean is a phobia of mine during the summer months. The filter is a TR-60 and I replaced the gauge a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the pressure relief valve and the spider gasket. The filter I have is fairly large and it holds "I think" 350 pounds of sand which I replaced last year with new laterals. My equipment is located in an enclosed area that does not get exposed to the elements. If the lower the pressure is better that is what I wanted to know. I have just read so many threads with higher pressure than mine and it made me start thinking would a higher flow make a positive difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.