Free Chlorine Too High

Discovered this evening that our Free chlorine was 18.8/21.5 (TWO RUNS) based on my taylor testing kit. Last testing was 1.5 weeks ago and it was wnl at 2ppm. My salt generator has been at 65% since opening (3 weeks ago) and had been just fine until 1 week ago. Weather has been warm and solar cover is on when pool is not in use which is 10hrs of 12 hours run time during the week and 5hrs of 12 on saturday and sunday. Is it possible the sun just isn't burning off the chlorine and my swg is set to high? The only other factor is I added 2 bags of fresh'n clear(chlorine free) from my pool store at their suggestion to maintain clarity...they suggested weekly. This was added last monday. I know I can add a neutralizer to lower the FC but wanted to try non-pool store attempts first. I lowered the swg to 30% this evening and left solar cover off. Will this work and how long to lower FC <10ppm. Should I try turning SWG off entirely for a time period?
This evenings readings:
FC 21.5
CC 1PPM
PH 7.8
ALK 80
CALCIUM 290
CYA 65
SI 0.3

Thanks!!!!!

Stop adding random chemicals from the pool store ... waste of money.

With the cover on, you are not losing as much FC to the sun. You need to turn down the output or shorten the run time.

It is still safe to swim, your FC is lower than the shock level for your CYA.

AGREED...not adding any more bags of the free & clear! Thanks, needed to hear what I had figured out as well! Last year we had an awful start to using our salt system due to wiring issues from installer. Its kind of like starting over this summer.
I had checked the chlorine/cya chart and noticed it was lower then the shock level which is why I let kids swim tonight.
Thanks again!

OK to swim.

Not OK to toss in those wasted chemicals from the pool store.

I would turn off the SWG and uncover the pool to get your chlorine down rather quickly.........probably a couple of days.

What Dave said!

I just learned the hard way 2 weeks ago when I started using a solar cover. In two days, my FC shot up to 21. It took approximately 5 days for it to return to a normal level.

Lesson learned: either take off the solar cover during day, or shut off the purifier!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.