Skimmer or auto feeder

peter

May 14, 2009
southampton England
Hi quite new to pools so still learning. Weather is Crud in the uk so i have fitted a low profile hard cover.i use Di clor Tabs in a pentair 320 but i think it uses too many tabs as they all dissolve quite quickly. The cover keeps out all the unwanted stuff so the pool is very clean, should i go back to putting tabs in the skimmer :

Peter

peter said:
Hi quite new to pools so still learning. Weather is Crud in the uk so i have fitted a low profile hard cover.i use Di clor Tabs in a pentair 320 but i think it uses too many tabs as they all dissolve quite quickly. The cover keeps out all the unwanted stuff so the pool is very clean, should i go back to putting tabs in the skimmer :

Peter

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You should not put tabs in the skimmer. I think I read that Dichlor tabs dissolve faster than trichlor, do you have access to trichlor tabs? Does your chlorinator have a dial that can be adjusted down?

Are you having water clarity issues? If so, like Casey said, post a full set of test results. :wink:

To answer your q, no you should never put tabs in the skimmer, tablets are acidic and lower pH, this can be harmful to the skimmer parts causing them to become brittle and break easily, and it can wreak havoc on pump/filter/heater parts. Keep them in the chlorinator or in a floater, never the skimmer.

You can put your pool info/specs in your signature line, go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. :goodjob:

peter said:

Peter

Water is crystal clear

FC 5ppm
Ph 7.2 constant
TA 80
Stabiliser 100

Auto feeder dial is set to 1. Maybe i should only put two tabs in a week as that was all i put in the skimmer
Ps still raining and windy

Your CYA/stabilizer level is too high. I recommend lowering your CYA level down to between 30 and 50. The only practical way to do that is to replace water.

You might want to think about switching to liquid chlorine/bleach. That does mean more carrying, but gives you much better control over your pool.

peter said:

Peter

Thanks ill look into changing my chemicals. Having a hard cover on means for most part of the time the pool acts like an indoor pool and has little burn off and no rain water getting in .Also it is not used often and only by my 3 children

Yeah, your CYA is too high, which means you are going to burn through more pucks to keep your FC at performing levels. I would only use pucks when going on vacation. Otherwise you should switch to unstabalized chlorine or in your case, a SWG would be perfect since you don't want to fool with it much.

Dichlor and Trichlor pucks both add CYA and your level is too high. So you need routine water replacement when using pucks to prevent that from happening. Your ph is also on the low end, caused by the pucks. You may want to increase that a bit to 7.4-7.6 and keep the TA at 100-120 if using pucks.

I would drain some of your water out, about a foot at a time to lower the CYA level, in the meantime use liquid chlorine, and consider it for your everyday needs, and save the tablets for vacations. :wink:

Seems like I can recall a thread in the past where the poster, also from England, mentioned that you couldn't buy bleach or liquid chlorine over there as it was considered a hazardous material and required special permitting. Is this the case or am I dreaming this up? :scratch:

257WbyMag said:
Seems like I can recall a thread in the past where the poster, also from England, mentioned that you couldn't buy bleach or liquid chlorine over there as it was considered a hazardous material and required special permitting. Is this the case or am I dreaming this up? :scratch:

I vaguely remember that too, but I think that user found it, it was just called something slightly different?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nod said:
Yeah, your CYA is too high, which means you are going to burn through more pucks to keep your FC at performing levels. I would only use pucks when going on vacation. Otherwise you should switch to unstabalized chlorine or in your case, a SWG would be perfect since you don't want to fool with it much.

Glad i looked up what an SWG is. I nearly went to the pool shop and asked for a big can of it

peter said:
Nod said:

Glad i looked up what an SWG is. I nearly went to the pool shop and asked for a big can of it

:mrgreen: Yeah, we throw words around on here, taking for granted that Noobs know what they mean. :wink:

peter said:
Nod said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.