Years ago, this forum helped me greatly fix a problem with my pool water. We have had no problems until we opened our pool May 30. For the first time, when we opened our pool the water was green. Not horribly green, but green nonetheless. We brushed the walls, shocked the pool (powder packets), let the filter run a lot, and then had the water tested at our local pool store. They kept telling us to shock it, use algaecide, etc. We shocked it, added the calcium they told us to use, used the algaecide, and shocked it again. It still looks slightly green, although it is mostly clear.
Today I went to the pool place again and they now told me that my nitrates are very high and that I need to drain the pool in 6 inch increments. The level of free chlorine is .4 and the nitrates are 10 ppm.
I wanted some expert advice about whether draining the water a little at a time was the only way to deal with this problem.
Thank you for any help you guys can send my way,
33,000 gal, inground, vinyl liner pool.