Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Vinyl liner!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Vinyl liner!

A new doughboy vinyl will be installed tomorrow. (we installed a new liner about a year ago but didn't get a doughboy liner and we're already replacing it). I ordered a new test kit today. I am asking the installer to change the sand in my sand filter because we had an algae problem that I was never really able to get rid of, another reason for a new liner.

I want to get it right this time right out of the shoot, any guidance or suggestions for best steps to proceed will be appreciated.
    Installed in 2000 -- 18' x 34' AG vinyl lined doughboy pool, fully decked. 25,250 gallons. 7' deep end. 2015 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward 200 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 4 returns (with one pointing into back of steps). 1 1/2 inch plumbing, recently replaced sand, and all gaskets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Vinyl liner!

New test kit? Does that mean there's an old one around? If it tests pH and hopefully TA, you can get started.

You know that a fresh fill will have zero CYA and so little unstabilized FC (if any) that it'll be gone in a couple hours.
    You don't care if the CH is low on a vinyl liner pool, and if it starts out high, there's isn't much you can do about it since the replacement water will be identical.

That leaves pH and TA to deal with. And for those, you need some type of tester.

Get it full of water and circulating and check for leaks. The installer will do that. Hopefully he'll also rinse the sand, but that's another topic. You could ask him to test pH and TA for you. He might have a kit. Ideally, though, you'll do it yourself.

There may be some algae residual in the filter and plumbing, so I'd suggest taking the pool to shock level immediately. Don't worry, it won't stay there for long. You'll be able to swim in it if it's not too cold for you.

So... first thing, add bleach to get to 10 FC
    Second, CYA to get to your target. 50 is not bad for Texas. Mess around with the granules and the socks and get that in the pool.
    Third, if you have pH and TA readings, and pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 you're good to go. If pH is high or low, plug 'em into poolmath and get the dose to fix it.

Do you know how to use poolmath? Now's the time to speak up. After you added too much of something is too late.

Post back and let us know how it's going. We'll keep that pool from going green on you this year. Check out this thread. Just bought and filled a week ago, You can have this too.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A TFP recommended test kit is the first step.
    The next one is to start with the ABC's of Pool Chemistry, and go from there. Click on the Pool School button and ready, set, go!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Where will you get the water to fill? I'm dealing with iron from my recent fill and wish I could have headed it off before it ended up in the pool!
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Water source is the Edwards Aquifer, we have a well. I can't find test kit that I purchased from Leslie's so I ordered another one on 6/7...hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Friday. In the meantime I have a test kit that will test pH and chlorine. I would like to get some chlorine and stabilizer in there asap. It still has a good foot to go before it will be full.
    Installed in 2000 -- 18' x 34' AG vinyl lined doughboy pool, fully decked. 25,250 gallons. 7' deep end. 2015 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward 200 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 4 returns (with one pointing into back of steps). 1 1/2 inch plumbing, recently replaced sand, and all gaskets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is 1 gallon of stabilizer a good starting point for a 25000 gallon pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

There are two ways to check that. Both in Poolmath, link above.

1. Enter your pool gallons at the top. In the CYA Now column enter your current CYA and in the Target column enter your goal. It will tell you how much to add to reach your Target.
    2. Scroll down to Effects of adding chemicals, enter the amount and choose your chemical. It will tell you what it will add to the pool. Make sure the gallons is correct at the top.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you so much for responding to my post!! I think that I am well on my way. ! I added 1 gallon of Stabilizer, 2 gallons of 8% bleach and the chlorine indicator turned orange, also added acid to get the pH back down as it shot up when I added the stabilizer and bleach. I will test the CYA tomorrow to see if I should add more stabilizer. I really, really appreciate your help.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good deal! Keep in mind that the PH test is not valid when FC is above 10 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach