Volleyball Pool?

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
I recently purchased a home and it has a pool, naturally. I found out during escrow that it was not your "standard" pool with a shallow end and a deep end. The owner filled in the deep end so that now, it is shallow on both ends and 5.5' in the middle! The seller claimed her father did this so that they could play water volleyball in the pool. I was also talking to the previous pool man, and he claims that pools nowadays no longer have a deep end or diving boards due to liability issues. Is this true? I grew up with a "regular" pool that had a deep end and LOVED diving into it. I DID scrape my face a few times at the abrupt shallow end, I will admit that.

Should I be mad that this pool has no deep end? Or... is it a matter of preference and maybe a blessing in disguise because there is less water?

Sorry for the newbie question. I AM new at this.

I am currently having a pool built. My pool builder try to sell me a sports pool. I decided on a conventional pool, shallow end is 4 feet and the deep end will be 6 feet. I wish I could afford a diving pool, but just didn't have the budget for that style pool.

misplacetexan.... does it cost more to dig it a little deeper so you can dive? or is it an issue of the length as well? I didn't realize there were such things as "sports pools." I don't like em! give me a deep end so my kids can hurt their ears when they swim deep like I always did! haha

Many get built both (all) ways these days. There is no such thing as a regular pool in 2016.

Reactions: RuralTexas
I grew up with my neighbor having the 8 feet deep end and we had the sports pool. 3.5 at shallow 5.5 in middle and 3.5 at the other end.

We would dive for 30 minutes, which ofcourse is fun, then back to my house, we would be in my pool all day playing volleyball or dodge ball or various sports game.

We just built our pool and did a sports pool and are very happy with it. We have 7 kids from 3 to 15. The depth is 3.5x5x4. If the pool could be bigger, we might have made a different decision but ours is 29x13.5 and felt that a "sports" pool would fit us best.

We're in the process of building our second pool and are once again going with the sport pool--3'6"-5'0"-4'0'. We play both volley ball and basketball in it and it is a good height for everyone to get wet and have fun, but still be able to dunk or spike. I also use part of it for a swim lane and although the shallow end is just a little close for comfort, it's doable. We're even putting a slide in on the 4' side this time (you won't be able to slide and play volleyball, but it's still multi-function). One positive about it is that you have less water in the pool, so depending on many factors, the pool will be a little warmer. Also, it could mean less chemicals and less cost. The big negative is no diving and depending on where you're at, the pool will be a little warmer. That said, we really like the sport pool and would highly recommend it if someone asked our opinion.

we decided last minute to go with a sports pool, after talking to multiple pool owners that have had theirs for 5+years, they all said they wish they went with a sports pool, he said the first 2-3yrs having a deep end is nice cause kids are all over it, but he says once they get past that stage no one goes to the deep end no more, everyone is using the small space of the shallower end. they said if they had the sports pool that the "whole" pool would still get used instead of just one end of it.., so we chose a sports pool with a jumping platform that kids can jump off instead of diving board..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find that having a deep end is very nice. What I wanted to say...Real pools have deep ends. [emoji38]

Reactions: Chickinvic
I find that having a deep end is very nice. What I wanted to say...Real pools have deep ends. [emoji38]

"Real pools" are sport pools, diving pools, above ground, in ground, gunite, vinyl lined, basically anything that holds enough water to swim in.

misplacetexan.... does it cost more to dig it a little deeper so you can dive? or is it an issue of the length as well? I didn't realize there were such things as "sports pools." I don't like em! give me a deep end so my kids can hurt their ears when they swim deep like I always did! haha

In my humble opinion, I would need a longer than 34 foot pool for a proper dive pool. The slope from the shallow to deep end would be to great for a 34 foot pool. Most diving pools are at least 8 feet deep. It would cost more money for a longer and deeper pool.

"Real pools" are sport pools, diving pools, above ground, in ground, gunite, vinyl lined, basically anything that holds enough water to swim in.

Absolutely agreed. I had nice conversation with some folks this weekend about the large variety of pools available now, especially of the above ground variety versus 15 years ago. A pool for every backyard!

We ended up doing 3.5'-6'-4'. We do not have kids and don't plan to play volleyball. 6' is deep for a play/sports pool. But I'm tall. It's perfect for me. Chin deep. I really don't have much use for anything deeper than that anymore. One of the big reasons we did 6' in the middle was more water volume. Texas gets hot. We figured it would help a little with temp. It is a little steep from the 3.5 end to 6 middle. But it's hard to tell until we get water in it. We are still waiting for plaster. Hopefully we don't regret the depth because of how steep the shallow end is. We have plenty of benches spread out around the pool as well.

Matt

In my humble opinion, I would need a longer than 34 foot pool for a proper dive pool. The slope from the shallow to deep end would be to great for a 34 foot pool. Most diving pools are at least 8 feet deep. It would cost more money for a longer and deeper pool.

We bought a house with an existing pool (the pool is nearly 40 years old) a few years ago. It's 32 feet long with a very deep deep end (over 9'). While I wish the pool could be larger overall we're very happy with the configuration.

My previous pools had the deep end but decided to make this one a sports pool.

It's 4' all around the roman perimeter with a oval area in the middle where the 4 drains are.

Steps are not on one end but in middle with a sun ledge.

We ended up doing 3.5'-6'-4'. We do not have kids and don't plan to play volleyball. 6' is deep for a play/sports pool. But I'm tall. It's perfect for me. Chin deep. I really don't have much use for anything deeper than that anymore. One of the big reasons we did 6' in the middle was more water volume. Texas gets hot. We figured it would help a little with temp. It is a little steep from the 3.5 end to 6 middle. But it's hard to tell until we get water in it. We are still waiting for plaster. Hopefully we don't regret the depth because of how steep the shallow end is. We have plenty of benches spread out around the pool as well.

Matt

I care across this post and wanted to see how you are enjoying your sports pool since I’m considering one. Is 6 too deep in the middle? Is the slope too steep? Any advice is appreciated.

I care across this post and wanted to see how you are enjoying your sports pool since I’m considering one. Is 6 too deep in the middle? Is the slope too steep? Any advice is appreciated.

Ours is 20 x 40 and 25 of that is between 4 and 6’ deep and the kids love it. Plus the deep end is big enough for diving. It drops off to around 8 1/2’ at a steep angle

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.