Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Volleyball Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Volleyball Pool?

I recently purchased a home and it has a pool, naturally. I found out during escrow that it was not your "standard" pool with a shallow end and a deep end. The owner filled in the deep end so that now, it is shallow on both ends and 5.5' in the middle! The seller claimed her father did this so that they could play water volleyball in the pool. I was also talking to the previous pool man, and he claims that pools nowadays no longer have a deep end or diving boards due to liability issues. Is this true? I grew up with a "regular" pool that had a deep end and LOVED diving into it. I DID scrape my face a few times at the abrupt shallow end, I will admit that.

Should I be mad that this pool has no deep end? Or... is it a matter of preference and maybe a blessing in disguise because there is less water?

Sorry for the newbie question. I AM new at this.
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Volleyball Pool?

Of course pools still have deep ends. But some people prefer a sports pool. If you have kids they will likely want a deep end.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

3. Back To Top    #3

I am currently having a pool built. My pool builder try to sell me a sports pool. I decided on a conventional pool, shallow end is 4 feet and the deep end will be 6 feet. I wish I could afford a diving pool, but just didn't have the budget for that style pool.
    Xavier in Baytown, Texas
    Pool Built: 06May2016. 16ftx34ft, Area: 485 ft2, Depth: 4ft-6ft, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter 48 sq. ft., Easy Touch 8 with wireless remote, IntelliBrite Pool Color LED, 640 Sq Ft of deck, 3 ton waterfall, Guesstimation: 17,000 gallons, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006C.

4. Back To Top    #4

misplacetexan.... does it cost more to dig it a little deeper so you can dive? or is it an issue of the length as well? I didn't realize there were such things as "sports pools." I don't like em! give me a deep end so my kids can hurt their ears when they swim deep like I always did! haha
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Many get built both (all) ways these days. There is no such thing as a regular pool in 2016.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I grew up with my neighbor having the 8 feet deep end and we had the sports pool. 3.5 at shallow 5.5 in middle and 3.5 at the other end.

We would dive for 30 minutes, which ofcourse is fun, then back to my house, we would be in my pool all day playing volleyball or dodge ball or various sports game.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

7. Back To Top    #7

We just built our pool and did a sports pool and are very happy with it. We have 7 kids from 3 to 15. The depth is 3.5x5x4. If the pool could be bigger, we might have made a different decision but ours is 29x13.5 and felt that a "sports" pool would fit us best.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a more conventional pool with deep end and several diving rocks and a waterfall.

However, from what I can tell the folks I know who have owned both kinds prefer the sports pools.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

We're in the process of building our second pool and are once again going with the sport pool--3'6"-5'0"-4'0'. We play both volley ball and basketball in it and it is a good height for everyone to get wet and have fun, but still be able to dunk or spike. I also use part of it for a swim lane and although the shallow end is just a little close for comfort, it's doable. We're even putting a slide in on the 4' side this time (you won't be able to slide and play volleyball, but it's still multi-function). One positive about it is that you have less water in the pool, so depending on many factors, the pool will be a little warmer. Also, it could mean less chemicals and less cost. The big negative is no diving and depending on where you're at, the pool will be a little warmer. That said, we really like the sport pool and would highly recommend it if someone asked our opinion.

10. Back To Top    #10

we decided last minute to go with a sports pool, after talking to multiple pool owners that have had theirs for 5+years, they all said they wish they went with a sports pool, he said the first 2-3yrs having a deep end is nice cause kids are all over it, but he says once they get past that stage no one goes to the deep end no more, everyone is using the small space of the shallower end. they said if they had the sports pool that the "whole" pool would still get used instead of just one end of it.., so we chose a sports pool with a jumping platform that kids can jump off instead of diving board..
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I find that having a deep end is very nice. What I wanted to say...Real pools have deep ends.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I find that having a deep end is very nice. What I wanted to say...Real pools have deep ends.
    "Real pools" are sport pools, diving pools, above ground, in ground, gunite, vinyl lined, basically anything that holds enough water to swim in.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
    misplacetexan.... does it cost more to dig it a little deeper so you can dive? or is it an issue of the length as well? I didn't realize there were such things as "sports pools." I don't like em! give me a deep end so my kids can hurt their ears when they swim deep like I always did! haha
    In my humble opinion, I would need a longer than 34 foot pool for a proper dive pool. The slope from the shallow to deep end would be to great for a 34 foot pool. Most diving pools are at least 8 feet deep. It would cost more money for a longer and deeper pool.
    Xavier in Baytown, Texas
    Pool Built: 06May2016. 16ftx34ft, Area: 485 ft2, Depth: 4ft-6ft, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter 48 sq. ft., Easy Touch 8 with wireless remote, IntelliBrite Pool Color LED, 640 Sq Ft of deck, 3 ton waterfall, Guesstimation: 17,000 gallons, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006C.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    "Real pools" are sport pools, diving pools, above ground, in ground, gunite, vinyl lined, basically anything that holds enough water to swim in.
    Absolutely agreed. I had nice conversation with some folks this weekend about the large variety of pools available now, especially of the above ground variety versus 15 years ago. A pool for every backyard!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Absolutely agreed. I had nice conversation with some folks this weekend about the large variety of pools available now, especially of the above ground variety versus 15 years ago. A pool for every backyard!
    Pools are really just an expensive and fancy bathtub. LOL.

They sure are fun though!

Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

We ended up doing 3.5'-6'-4'. We do not have kids and don't plan to play volleyball. 6' is deep for a play/sports pool. But I'm tall. It's perfect for me. Chin deep. I really don't have much use for anything deeper than that anymore. One of the big reasons we did 6' in the middle was more water volume. Texas gets hot. We figured it would help a little with temp. It is a little steep from the 3.5 end to 6 middle. But it's hard to tell until we get water in it. We are still waiting for plaster. Hopefully we don't regret the depth because of how steep the shallow end is. We have plenty of benches spread out around the pool as well.

Matt
    19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by misplacetexan View Post
    In my humble opinion, I would need a longer than 34 foot pool for a proper dive pool. The slope from the shallow to deep end would be to great for a 34 foot pool. Most diving pools are at least 8 feet deep. It would cost more money for a longer and deeper pool.
    We bought a house with an existing pool (the pool is nearly 40 years old) a few years ago. It's 32 feet long with a very deep deep end (over 9'). While I wish the pool could be larger overall we're very happy with the configuration.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

18. Back To Top    #18

My previous pools had the deep end but decided to make this one a sports pool.

It's 4' all around the roman perimeter with a oval area in the middle where the 4 drains are.

Steps are not on one end but in middle with a sun ledge.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100