what to do until test kit gets here?

Jun 4, 2016
Bangor, Maine
I have a 15' (36" deep) Intex Easy Set pool that we just put up yesterday and filled. I've ordered the Taylor K-2006 test kit, but it won't be here for 5-9 days. Is there anything I can do now to try and prevent problems before the test kit arrives? I have a bottle of chlorine on hand but am nervous since I have no idea what amounts of chlorine a "healthy" pool would need. I'm flying blind in more ways than one! :)
Thanks for the help,
Brooke

Hi Brooke,
hopefully I can help get you started.

I did a quick calculation of your 15 ft round x 3 ft deep pool and it holds 4000 gallons of water.
How much of something to put in depends on how much water you have, and what chemical are in the water. Since its new, then there isnt much in there. So..

1st go ahead right now and add 18 ozs of concentrated bleach. No facny splashless or scented stuff. Just plain ol bleach. Let your pump run at least 20 minutes after adding the bleach so it can be mixed well.

Next, you need to go to walmart, home improvement, pool store, or anyplace pool products are sold. Buy come Stabilizer and Conditioner (we call it CYA). It is sold in 4 lb jugs. Buy one jug then come home. Pour 16 ozs of it into an old sock and tie the top of the sock closed so it cant come out. Then tie a string on the end of a pole and hang the sock in front of the return. Squeeze the sock occasionally to help the stabilizer excape the sock.

The day after you added 12 ozs of stabilizer add 12 ozs of bleach only.
Add 12 ozs every day until your test kit arrives. When your test kit arrives, test your water for all of the things to test for and tell us what the test results are. Then we can go from there.

In the mean time, play around with pool math. Its what we use to calculate how much of something to add to the water.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Also while you are waiting, start with the ABCs of pool chemistry in Pool School. Then continue reading pool school articles about how to maintain your water levels, and what they should be.

Thank you Dave for your help! There's so much more to this little pool than I realized! At what point would it be safe for my daughter to go swimming in the pool? Or should we just hold off until the test kit arrives and we make adjustments? I'll be purchasing the items suggested tomorrow and get right on it. Thank you again so much for taking the time to write that all out! Brooke :)

It is safe after you add 1-2ppm of FC and let that mix. After all, at this point it is the same as bath water ;)

You just want to be sure there is some FC in the water while swimming. The test kit will help tremendously once you get hands on.

Hi Brooke,
Above all, TFP wants everyone to be safe. We would never recommend someone to do anything that isnt safe unless we specifically tell them it isn't safe. But if you are unsure, please ask us to reinforce the safety aspect for your peace of mind.

It seems like an uphill curve for you now, but no need to be anxious. In a short time all this pool stuff will start to click.

I estimate your Stabilizer level should be about 30ish ppm after you add it.
The amount of bleach I recommended will get you to about 2-3 ppm (10% of the stabilizer level) which is perfectly fine for you to swim and keep your pool sanitary for the time being.
Your Chlorine level will drift down each day due to exposure to UV from the sun, and doing its job of oxidizing persperation, lotions, and skin cells etc from swimmers.

Just add a little bleach every day to replenish the chlorine until your test kit arrives and you will be fine.

Once the test kit comes in, we can help tweak it so you have a nice sparkly troublefree pool.

Thank you Dave for your help! There's so much more to this little pool than I realized! At what point would it be safe for my daughter to go swimming in the pool? Or should we just hold off until the test kit arrives and we make adjustments? I'll be purchasing the items suggested tomorrow and get right on it. Thank you again so much for taking the time to write that all out! Brooke :)

Do I EVER know what you mean! I went so far as to order my test kit BEFORE I ordered my pool! I wanted to make sure I could do the tests! Well it turned out I could AND it was fun!

Make sure to keep a log of your test results. That will help you learn your pool's needs over time.

If you have ANY questions ask them no matter how small! We have all asked the same question!

Kim:cat:

Thank you Richard! Those videos are exactly what I needed!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kim! That was a smart move to order the kit first! My pool was a last minute birthday present for my 7 year old. I had no idea at the time what it would involve beyond leveling my yard and filling it! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.