Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 First time results. Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 First time results. Now what?

Just got my TF-100 kit and did the tests. Now what?

FC - 5.0
    CYA - 20
    TA -330
    CH - 300
    No combined chloramines

How do I test PH with this kit?
    16x32 52" AG oval Century pool (14400 gallons we think). Vinyl liner. Hayward Pro Series sand filter S166T model. Hayward Power-Flo Marrix SP151021XEHC 1HP pump. Had the pool since 5/27/16. TFT-100 test kit. Water delivery initially, but use well water to top off when needed.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: TF-100 First time results. Now what?

Just use the red side of the blue box test.

How's the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Ahhh I was wondering ok.

the water looks great actually. I'm going to redo the TA test again to be sure though
    16x32 52" AG oval Century pool (14400 gallons we think). Vinyl liner. Hayward Pro Series sand filter S166T model. Hayward Power-Flo Marrix SP151021XEHC 1HP pump. Had the pool since 5/27/16. TFT-100 test kit. Water delivery initially, but use well water to top off when needed.

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't have to do the OTO chlorine test since you did the FAS-DPD test. Just do the pH side. All the tests are on youtube.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

pH is 7.8 and did TA again. TA is reading 250 now. Pfew much better

Looks like I should add acid but pool math does not show how much

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmansion138 View Post
    pH is 7.8 and did TA again. TA is reading 250 now. Pfew much better

Looks like I should add acid but pool math does not show how much
    Sure it does!

First you need to input the pool volume. I doubt your pool is filled to the very top, so call it 4'. Down at the bottom, it says a 16x 32 oval 4' deep holds 13700 gallons. Put that in as your volume. Plug in 7.8 as pH and target 7.3 (Leave some room for error in case the pool is even smaller than 13,700) and then enter the now TA. 61 fluid ounces of 31% acid to lower pH.

As a side benefit... Effects of Adding Chemicals says that 61 ounces of acid will lower TA by 17.

It'll all make sense soon once you start doing it. A lightbulb will go off above your head and you'll understand.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I noticed more of the TA acid adding instructions in the PH section which said to add 32 oz based on my calculations.....so that's what I did.

since my cya seemed kind of low, in about an hour, I'm adding more stabilizer too and keeping an eye since that dreaded puck is already gone (good). I have everything I need on hand, including you guys just in case.

hope I've covered it all

8. Back To Top    #8

pH from 7.2 to 7.8 is ok. Depending on what you are using to add FC, you might just leave the pH alone and enjoy the pool. Pucks will lower pH over time. If you have any aeration (waterfalls, returns causing disturbance at the surface, etc) it will raise pH. 7.8 is just a little uncomfortable on my eyes. I swam yesterday and the pH was 7.4 - I opened my eyes underwater frequently and it doesn't burn at all.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

I have my return into a small fountain/waterfall like thing which is why the PH might be slightly higher. I'll put it back to normal and see what it does. For now, I'm swimming

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh yeah!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit