Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Timer Opinions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Burlington, MA

Automatic Timer Opinions

I have an automatic timer that turns on all my equipment. Currently, I have it set to turn on at 8am and off at 8pm. This leaves a 12 hour window during the nighttime hours where the pool water is dormant. I'd rather not run the equipment for more than 12 hours (unless I have to). What are people's thoughts on breaking up those 12 hours into two (or more) different increments... e.g. 12pm-6pm; 12am-6am. Does the sunlight (or heat of the daylight hours) do anything to the pool water wherein I should keep my equipment running, and water moving?
    20,000 Gallon Gunite Saltwater Inground Pool
    Hayward Super II Pump (model # SP3007X10AZ) | Hayward 48 Sq. Ft. Pro-Grid D.E. Filter (model # DE4820) | Hayward AquaRite SWG (model # AQR15) | Hayward 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater (model # H400FDN) | Polaris PB4-60 Vacuum Booster Pump (model # PB4-60) | Polaris P39 Pressure Pool Cleaner (model # P39) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve (model # SP715XR50)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Automatic Timer Opinions

No, not really. Lots of folks split the run into two times to keep debris better skimmed. A few hours AM and a few hours PM. There is some thought that running will cool the water and running during the day will warm it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I used to split my run time to an hour midday to keep the FC mixed well and the rest so it would have an hour to mix before I got home to test and dose it. The reasoning being that the UV destruction happens worse at the top; hardly any UV reaches the bottom. I cut out the midday run during the winter one year and never resumed. I manage just fine on 3 hours/ day plus whatever extra it gets when I'm vacuuming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Rockville MD

The only reason to keep it running during the more expensive daytime hours is for solar gain. Otherwise if your electric rates are tiered like ours, try to run it more during the cheapest times.
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.