Turning a frog pond into a pool

JJSim

Jun 6, 2016
Central, MN
Hello all. I am new to your great website. I have learned a lot already by sifting through the threads. Everyone has some great project going on. I hope that someday mine will look half as good as the others on here. Quick history on the pool, It was built by the previous homeowner (he was not a pool builder), We moved in last year, originally the pool was to be filled in with the sale but that deal fell apart. I was just going to fill it in but with 2 young kids my thoughts have changed. I decided I would see if any of the plumbing would hold. Not that lucky. Every line leaked. I have started on the project. The coping was in rough shape so that is gone. I removed both skimmers and have new ones on the way. I dug a trench out around the pool and under the some parts of the slab to slide new pipe through. I used a ram bit to drill out the old return lines that were in the concrete wall. The pool has sat unused for 10+ years. As I know nothing about pools I definitely have some questions and could use some expertise. Thanks in advance.

What brands of plaster to buy? Ive looked a lot online but can't find lots of info on much. Mostly just patching material.

Im planning on grinding out all the corners and edges. Should I run epoxy in the corners and plaster over it?

The main drain on the bottom has a break somewhere in the line. I was going to permanently plug the drain and core drill a new drain out the wall below the level of the returns. Hopefully that works, or just pump it out every fall.

The heater and filter have been there along time. Is the filter salvageable if I replace the sand.

Here of some pics of this beauty
Pool 2.jpgPool 1st.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I won't be able to give you the help you need right now. But others here will come along to help. I CAN give you encouragement! I love watching the old, old mistreated pools brought to life again! All pools deserve a second chance through skill and love, right?! You sound like just the one to take on this job! Good luck!

Welcome to TFP! I'm glad to see that the leaves have made it on the trees before June in your neck of the woods.

Yes, I've never seen a pool with that depth profile. Essentially a beach entry that never ends. I'm wondering if the crack where the grade really starts to change has anything to do with the frost level and that part having heaved and cracking occurring. Not to scare you, and in my VERY un-expert opinion, of all the reno's I've seen here, this one has a fairly high potential to be a money pit both initially and as time goes on. The leading factors are the extensive shell cracking, the fact that it appears to have been built by a non-PB (as you mention), your climate and to some extent it being renovated by a DIY.

My biggest fear is that due to the shallow nature of the shallow end (and potential heaving), you could have serious leaking issues related to that diagonal crack a year or more subsequent to your remodel or in other places. I hope that others can be a little more reassuring because I certainly hope my fears are not valid for your sake. The big unknown is really the initial build quality and all that entails.

I am going to grind out the edges and seams today. If there are big cracks I thought about stapling and injecting with epoxy. Agreed, will probably be a money pit but in always up for a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The right attitude and the ability to do things the right way will go a long way. I look forward to watching along!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.