Is the mortar on my rebuilt pool leaking?

AFTexan

Bronze Supporter
May 21, 2016
Flower Mound/Texas
Hello Everyone!

I reviewed the forum history as best I could and this appears to be “new” –

I just had my pool completely remodeled and we are loving it! However, I find it odd that with nearly six inches of rain in a few day span, my pool never overflowed. I do not have an actual overflow drain and experienced an occasional overflow prior to it being remodeled. Adding to this, I noted a small stream of water running out of the five-inch diameter hole which was cut into the exposed concrete deck to provide access to plumb a new Pentair autofill. The stream was only noted when the water in my pool had reached the bottom of the new flagstone coping. My contractor stated he was certain the water level had topped the basin of the autofill and was seeping between it and the decoratively colored cap. When I checked, the water was indeed inch above that seam but it also appeared to be “sealed” with mortar. Is it possible the mortar is that porous?
Add to this the pool’s water level should have easily exceeded the height of my new coping but never got much higher than the bottom of the new flagstone…which was set with the same mortar that was used to connect the cap and basin of the autofill. As odd as it sounds, I am thinking the mortar is so porous it allowed the water to seep through and find its way out of the pool. This can’t be a good thing is it? I believe this is the culprit as now that the water has receded to the lowest point of that mortar (which is in the skimmer area) my pool level is remaining constant. Note that I did shut off my water supply to the autofill when I first noted it was overfull and the running stream of water. This seemed logical to monitor the mysteriously low water level. Any ideas?

Work was only completed just over four weeks ago. Should I demand the mortar be sealed? Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated!!

AFTexan

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry about the slow response. I am having trouble understand where specifically you are looking at the mortar ... maybe that is why there was a lack of responses.

Can you add pictures, please?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.