How to get Timer to Manage Pump AND Heater shutoff & on

Recently bought a house with a pool and the heater needed work. I had a guy come to add a new pressure switch and on/off for the heater. He also mentioned that I need to make sure to turn the heater off at least 5 minutes before turning the pump off.

So I'm confused because I have an intermatic timer that turns on/off the pump. When the pump goes off, the heater will turn off automatically by the pressure switch, but the service guy said that it's not a good idea to have them both shut down at the same time because it could cause damage. So for the last week, I've been manually turning the pump and heater on and off in the morning and evening and haven't been using the timer which is a real pain. I want to have this automated but I don't understand how the heater can be automated while the pump is being automated... I've attached a photo of my timer. What is the norm to automate pump/heater shut on/off???

2016-06-06 15.13.35.jpg

Thanks for the replies! It seems like the fireman switch is the way to go. It does work with the Intermatic timer I posted the photo of in my post above right?

So to clarify, the fireman switch is wired to bypass the power switch of the heater? So I would wire it just after the power switch? Would it turn the heater back on as well as turn it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.