Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to get Timer to Manage Pump AND Heater shutoff & on

1. Back To Top    #1

How to get Timer to Manage Pump AND Heater shutoff & on

Recently bought a house with a pool and the heater needed work. I had a guy come to add a new pressure switch and on/off for the heater. He also mentioned that I need to make sure to turn the heater off at least 5 minutes before turning the pump off.

So I'm confused because I have an intermatic timer that turns on/off the pump. When the pump goes off, the heater will turn off automatically by the pressure switch, but the service guy said that it's not a good idea to have them both shut down at the same time because it could cause damage. So for the last week, I've been manually turning the pump and heater on and off in the morning and evening and haven't been using the timer which is a real pain. I want to have this automated but I don't understand how the heater can be automated while the pump is being automated... I've attached a photo of my timer. What is the norm to automate pump/heater shut on/off???

2016-06-06 15.13.35.jpg
    65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How to get Timer to Manage Pump AND Heater shutoff & on

I went with a digital controller and it says it will do a heater, 1 speed pump, 2 speed pump, VS pump... it will control 5 things total...

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/in...hure.pdf?la=en
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

The timer that you get has to have a fireman switch something like this it
    T101P201
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

4. Back To Top    #4

Or you can add the switch to your timer
    Fireman Switch
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies! It seems like the fireman switch is the way to go. It does work with the Intermatic timer I posted the photo of in my post above right?

So to clarify, the fireman switch is wired to bypass the power switch of the heater? So I would wire it just after the power switch? Would it turn the heater back on as well as turn it off?

65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.