"Repairing" a buried AG pool

Jun 25, 2011
So, this pool has been in my family for 25 years. Honestly everything around it is shot to heck. The deck had to be removed, liner replaced. The landscaping around it is honestly ugly. I bought this house from my family in October. If I had the money or the income to just excavate the whole darn thing and put in a below ground pool, I would trust me I'm already sure that is the best idea. I've been helping them take care of it the last few years, but nothing extensive just water maintenance.

Anyway I live by myself, and need to take care of this myself. I didn't endorse, nor do I know why my family (I was just born at the time) put in the pool this way. I already don't think it's a great idea to have a buried AG pool, but they put fencing around it and braces... and well its just a mess. They are caving it, and broken, and I don't want the pool to like rupture. I want to keep my things nice, I'm not like they were. Everything is falling apart. If anyone has any handyman tips for me to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not very handy at all, but I will do whatever it takes to get this fixed and right.

Pool Repair by Justin Singel | Photobucket

I can't tell from your pictures how structurally sound the pool itself is. Obviously the walls outside the pool are in rough shape, but the pool looks OK. Still, it's a 25 year old pool... not sure what I'd do in this situation

Often people won't or can't click out of the site to view pics. If you copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in your post it will look like this.

Everything we build has a useful life. At some point we have to call it over or do a major renovation. It looks like you are at major renovation. We can't tell the condition of the pool structure because its "buried" I would spend some time looking at the condition of the pool walls and their connection to the ground. Rusted out? Leaning? If those are bad I'd trash the pool and replace it.

Everything we build has a useful life. At some point we have to call it over or do a major renovation. It looks like you are at major renovation. We can't tell the condition of the pool structure because its "buried" I would spend some time looking at the condition of the pool walls and their connection to the ground. Rusted out? Leaning? If those are bad I'd trash the pool and replace it.

They are starting to rust, but are not bad. Nothing is leaning and they still seem structurally sound. I don't have the money to replace it, I don't even have the money to remove it and fill it in with dirt.

I see some time with a shovel and weed eater in your future. It looks like they used the wooden fence as a retaining wall..............If the walls are sound there is nothing you cannot do with some sweat and beers!

Kim:cat:

You could treat the surface rust and paint the walls with exterior paint suited for metal surfaces. If you can afford it, remove the fencing around the hole and backfill that area with crushed rock. Crushed rock will drain well and you can top it with a layer of soil if you want to have ground cover next to the pool.

You could treat the surface rust and paint the walls with exterior paint suited for metal surfaces. If you can afford it, remove the fencing around the hole and backfill that area with crushed rock. Crushed rock will drain well and you can top it with a layer of soil if you want to have ground cover next to the pool.

I like that idea, the crushed rock against the pool wall won't cause a collapse from pressure?

I see some time with a shovel and weed eater in your future. It looks like they used the wooden fence as a retaining wall..............If the walls are sound there is nothing you cannot do with some sweat and beers!

Kim:cat:

Yeah, weedwacking the yard is today's project. I was gone for a week on vacation and It nonstop rained here, I guess.

Don't pack the crushed rock in there, just shovel it in and work around the pool in layers. Water pushes out against the walls of the pool, which is what provides an above ground pool with structural integrity. As long as you shovel it in and let it settle on its own it should be fine. Don't over fill and don't compact the rock.

Don't pack the crushed rock in there, just shovel it in and work around the pool in layers. Water pushes out against the walls of the pool, which is what provides an above ground pool with structural integrity. As long as you shovel it in and let it settle on its own it should be fine. Don't over fill and don't compact the rock.

What about when you lower the water level for the winter, will it still be fine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should be. You are only lowering to below the skimmer and from the photos it looks like the pool is a foot or two higher than the land around it. You would bring the crushed rock up to ground level, or a little less if you decide to top off with soil.

It should be. You are only lowering to below the skimmer and from the photos it looks like the pool is a foot or two higher than the land around it. You would bring the crushed rock up to ground level, or a little less if you decide to top off with soil.

Awesome thanks, I'm not sure why the guy that put the pool in that my family hired didn't do it that way in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.