Pool light grounding wire nicked

Apr 21, 2014
United States
As I was changing out an old, leaking pool light we ran into some problems requiring brute force. Unfortunately, the plastic coating on the grounding wire attached to the light niche with potting compound got nicked in the process in 2-3 places. Can I apply a waterproof sealant (I was thinking of using G-flex) over the nicks or do I need to replace the entire grounding wire and potting compound?
Thanks,
Scott

Technically that is a bonding wire NEC 680.23 (B)(2)(b). A "bonding jumper" in the words of the code. The purpose of the potting compound and insulation here is to protect the copper line from the deteriorating effect of the water. So whatever you can do. This is not major critical because the water is already bonded.

If you are replacing the fixture I would replace the wire. If you do replace it its not normal wire its #8 considerably thicker than normal. And I would get stranded. Where I live the inspectors are very picky about the potting compound. Sacramento County actually requires that they leave the empty container in the niche so the inspector can tell what was used. So you would need to get that at an electrical supply house, I know they don't sell it at HD.

Are the nicks all the way thru to the copper? I am assuming so. A lot of this depends on where in the conduit the nicks will be. If they will be in the wet portion I would definitely change the wire as any corrosion from the pool water will eventually compromise the wire. At very least, I would get a pool rated potting compound to protect the damaged area and then cover it with heat shrink tubing. Of course this may make it hard to pull back into the conduit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.