First time pool owner who found out that Automation is not automatic....

Jun 6, 2016
Mesa, AZ
I recently had a new pool built in my backyard back in April and everything was great until Pool Startup. Startup was a disaster, mostly because my pool builder outsourced their startup guy and he had no idea what he was doing with the system I purchased (system information below).

Hardware
10,700 gallons Freform pool w/waterfall
Infloor cleaning system
EasyTouch 4 w Screenlogic
Intellichem
Intellichlor
Acid Feeder
Intelliflow VS

Stats
PH - 7.4
ORP - 696
TA - 80
CYA - 80
Salt - 4050
FC - Out of control
Chlorine - Out of control

After going back and forth with my Pool builder and their startup guy for more than a month, they finally sent out a Pentair rep who was able to get my pool going correctly (or so I thought). Up until about a week ago everything was fine, but I noticed that my ORP was constantly going up and down and my intellichlor was running constantly. After reading the manuals and this forum I figured out that my CYA was probably the culprit. The genius that I am thought that since the Saturation index on the intellichem controller showed CYA as 0 that I didnt have any in my pool so I went out and bought some. I added 2lbs of stabilizer and let my system run for 24 hours to get it through the system. I then went back to my intellichem and noticed the CYA was still showing 0 and went back to the manual only to find out that it does not measure CYA (at this point I am losing my mind and immediately thought I screwed the pooch and might have to drain my pool because prior to the salt, I was using Trichlor). I immediately went to a pool store (no names) and had my water tested, thankfully the CYA was fine, but my chlorine was through the roof, literally off the scale. I manually configured the ORP on my intellichem to something super low like 510 so that it would not kick on and pump anymore chlorine into the pool. After reading several posts, it seems like ORP is not suitable for use with intellichlor, especially with CYA of 80.

TLDR:
My question is, how do I bypass the ORP and control the intellichlor by percentage? I have seen several users on this forum say they are doing just that, but not how they did it.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP :)

Not many of us have those type systems, it may be a while before someone see's this.. You may change the title to "Bypass ORP and use intellichlor" instead, it may help someone to see it :)