Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine STILL too low!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine STILL too low!

We have a 24,500 gallon inground pool. Because of my lack of attention to my SWG, my free chlorine level reached 0. My pool store had me put in 10 pounds of super soluble chlorine. How long should it take for the chlorine level to increase? I have test 3x since adding the chlorine and have seen no change after 5 hours.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Chlorine STILL too low!

Welcome to TFP!

It would be a huge help if you could post a full set of water test results.

Fighting algae is a process. It is quite unlikely that one chemical addition will take care of things. You need to know your chemical levels and adjust things based on that. Try reading the fighting algae article in Pool School for some background.

Most likely all the chlorine was used up fighting the algae and the algae is now growing back. On the other hand it is possible that your chlorine test is giving an incorrect reading. What kind of chlorine test are you using? OTO: drops turn a sample yellow which is compared to a color chart, DPD - drops turn a sample red which is compared to a color chart, FAS-DPD - powder turns a sample pink and drops turn it clear.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Nashville, NC

Super Soluble Chlorine? (10lbs)

Was this liquid or granules?

The only thing that matches that description is this product:

What are the exact specs of this chlorine. Maybe others are familiar with it, but if you added 10lbs of that, then
    16x32 IG, polymer panel Vinyl Pool w/approx 21k gallons of H20
    1 HP Hayward Pump & 300lb Sand Filter ~ Polaris 280 Pool cleaner
    ~~Nashville, NC~~

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

If you used that, in granular form, it's Dichlor.

We need a full set of test results, if your CYA is already too high (10 lbs would increase it ) then that could be part of the problem.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner