Debating which pool from Intex/Summer Waves and winter time

May 19, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Hi all,

I have a 22x52 Intex Ultra sitting in my garage brand new. The thing will consume my backyard.
I am also scared as I live outside of Buffalo and well you know Buffalo.

I do not want to take it down this Winter.

My plan was to drain below holes, shock, and cover.

I am afraid that even with draining it I am guessing it will have 7000 or so gallons of water.

Could it burst? I am a good 15 feet away from the other homes but am scared as heck.

My other option is a Summer Waves Elite 18x48 which I guess would have about 4000 gallons after partially draining.

Has anybody kept this large a pool out in Winter?

Is it too close to my neighbors?

Has anybody had a collapse or another major issue with winter where it is cold.

Welcome to TFP :)

I kept my 16x32 intex ultra up all winter full of 15000 gallons with no issues, the bad usually comes from people taking them down and then trying to put them back up.. these ultra pools are very well made when it comes down to it :)

In OK this last winter it did not get too cold, maybe 1/2 inch of ice in the top but no issues.. i did not even cover it :) this is what it looked like when I did open

GJ250Crh.jpg

Hefty - we obviously need to worry about the snow load. I take mine down and store in the basement every year. It's actually really easy and the pool will go right back into the box for storage. I then turn my pool area into an ice rink so it works out good.

Welcome to TFP :)

I kept my 16x32 intex ultra up all winter full of 15000 gallons with no issues, the bad usually comes from people taking them down and then trying to put them back up.. these ultra pools are very well made when it comes down to it :)

In OK this last winter it did not get too cold, maybe 1/2 inch of ice in the top but no issues.. i did not even cover it :) this is what it looked like when I did open

GJ250Crh.jpg

what are these steps called i see them on a lot of intex us pool photos and videos but not sure if they're available in europe they look like they'd be great for our dog !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.