Jun 6, 2016
Tyrone Pa
Hi. I am new to listing on this forum so I am not sure i am even doing this right.
I have a 24 round above the ground 4 foot pool purchased in 2008. I have a Hayward filter. I recently purchased a hot tube which is located next to my pool. My pool is maintained with soft swim and my hot tub uses chlorine. I want to convert my pool to chlorine for fear that my kids will go from one to the other causing cross contamination, not to mention the cost. I have been reading and studying the posts and articles that are posted. I am super SCARED to start this process and nervous about how to deal with the mess. I have printed the article "Convert Your Baquacil Pool to Chlorine" and read it numerous times and have a few questions. Please forgive me if I ask stupid questions. I'm not sure that understand.

1. Concerning the Pool math calculator. I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get it to work for me. I enter the amount of gallons and nothing happens. Am I supposed to enter more information? Is this calculator to guide me in what chemicals to use to convert or is it to help maintain my pool after I convert?

2. Concerning the CYA, where do I purchase this?

3. I use a sand filter. After filtering the goo, do I backwash or rinse? Does everyone usually have to change the sand in their filter during the conversion?

4. My pool store wants me to wait a week to see if my "B" comes down any. Currently it is at 30. She wants me to add "C" and "A" to maintain the pool while waiting for the B to go down. I haven't added anything for fear that the "C" and "A" will interfere more with the conversion. Any comments?

Thanks for helping

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: We'll help you.
1. Concerning the Pool math calculator. I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get it to work for me. I enter the amount of gallons and nothing happens. Am I supposed to enter more information? Is this calculator to guide me in what chemicals to use to convert or is it to help maintain my pool after I convert?
Once you enter your gallons at the top, then for each row you enter your NOW number and your TARGET number that you want. Then the calculator will tell you how much of something to add.
2. Concerning the CYA, where do I purchase this?
This is stabilizer/condition, and can be purchased at Wal-Mart of home improvement store pool sections for about $16 for a 4lb container. We generally recommend the granular stuff, not the expensive liquid. :)
3. I use a sand filter. After filtering the goo, do I backwash or rinse? Does everyone usually have to change the sand in their filter during the conversion?
You will backwash/rinse during the conversion process up to a certain point, then you will be prompted to replace all of the sand. This is one of the very few times we advise owners to replace sand.
4. My pool store wants me to wait a week to see if my "B" comes down any. Currently it is at 30. She wants me to add "C" and "A" to maintain the pool while waiting for the B to go down. I haven't added anything for fear that the "C" and "A" will interfere more with the conversion. Any comments?
I don't understand what the pool store is saying, nor does it really matter. You can convert at any time you are ready. Just follow the TFP Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine page and it will lead you through the process.

If you have any other questions, just let us know. Great to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Take pictures of the process, if I remember well, there are beautiful colors during the conversion, good luck...

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

The thread Richard linked to said 6 days AND it was a little slow since "life" was happening at the same time.

Kim:cat:
I am going to start Thursday. I bought the bleach today. I still need to get the CYA. I have 2 more questions
1. How many gallons of bleach do I add to start the conversion?
2. When I backwash to clean out the goo, will it kill the grass that I am draining it on? I want to know if I should prepare my neighbor.

1. How many gallons of bleach do I add to start the conversion?
I'm estimating your pool to be about 13,500 gallons. It takes almost 2.5 gallons to raise FC from 0 - 15. Those few initial gallons will go fast, and with no stabilizer added yet, it will go faster. The first 2-3 days will be critical. Just a very broad guess, but I wouldn't start unless I had about 20 gallons or so to start, with quick access nearby if I need to grab more in a pinch.

2. When I backwash to clean out the goo, will it kill the grass that I am draining it on? I want to know if I should prepare my neighbor.
Previous posts seem to indicate that once you scoop the majority of goo out, the residual baqua in backwashed water should be fine for plant and landscapes. Still, you might want to aim it for an area less conspicuous just in case. :)

By the way, this is a good thread if you haven't seen it already: Another Baquacil conversion

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to update your signature! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. I would start with 10 gals and see how fast/slow it is going.

2. I do not know :( Hummmm Get a big bucket of it your water and pour it on a small patch of grass in your yard and see what happens.

I know this might sound stupid, but do you just throw the goo on the ground (in the grass). I have Dogs and trying to figure out if they need to put in the house for this.

With a pet I would NOT take any chances no matter what any one said...........in the house, goo in bucket with trash bag in it to be thrown in the big trash can for pick up as well as lots of rinsing to make sure there is nothing the dogs can get to.

Thanks for the answers. I'm trying to figure out when to start it. Approximately how many consecutive days do I need to be readily available

The heavy lifting of my conversion was done in 4 days and about 12 cases of 12.5% Chlorine. I was able to test every hour over a weekend then twice on Monday and Tuesday. The only reason my conversion took almost two weeks is because I have a light and had problems replacing the fixture in the crevice. I count the week''s worth of idle time it took to make my pool "whole."

Ok. I'll work on the signature as soon as I can figure out where to find it on the site. Meanwhile concerning my ph. The product I have is "lo 'n slo" and it says to add and circulate 8 hours. So you are saying that I should do that, wait the 8 hours then start the process

Settings (top right) Edit Signature (left side)

I am assuming that is dry acid. That should dissolve and mix pretty quickly, so you could retest in 30 minutes and if it's where you were aiming you can start right away. No need to wait 8 hours.

Are you familiar with pool math and do you have a rough calculation of pool size? read OP nevermind.

No. pH readings are unreliable when FC is > 10. The only test you should do now is for FC. Keep the level as close to 15 and as often as every hour, if you can. When the water clears, start testing CC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.