No. pH readings are unreliable when FC is > 10. The only test you should do now is for FC. Keep the level as close to 15 and as often as every hour, if you can. When the water clears, start testing CC.

Mira been 3 hours since I added my bleach and my FC is still at 15. I thought it was supposed to use up slot of chlorine at first. Am I doing something wrong

1. Is the 54 Inches the wall height or water level? Your pool may hold 15,000 gallons but 24' round x 4' deep is only 13,500 gallons.

2. What is your chlorine source? What is the strength and age and size of container?

2a. According to Poolmath, 1 gallon of fresh 12.5% LC will raise 15,000 gallons water by over 8 ppm FC. 1 jug of fresh 8.25% bleach will raise FC 5.3 ppm.
2b. At 13,500, a gallon of 12.5% will raise yourwater by over 9 ppm FC. 1 jug of fresh 8.25% bleach will raise FC 6 ppm.

3. How are you testing? You should be continually swirling the water as you add drops and you shouldn't be leaving more than a few seconds between drops. The solution will turn pink again before too long. That is why more than few people hear love them their SpeedStir. I happen not to have one, but what I've found is that I can keep the vile on the table and swirl it like a glass of red wine with my dominant hand. Then add drops with my off hand.

All that said, yes, you should go through quite a few jugs on day one. Did you get the color change?

1. It is 4 foot
2. I used bleach, concentrated, 3 QT jug
3. I rechecked swirling the water as I added the drops and got 15
I can smell the bleach. Could I have added too much bleach with my initial dose because I am using concentrated bleach. I added 10 jugs.

- - - Updated - - -

1. It is 4 foot
3. I rechecked swirling the water as I added the drops and got 15
I can smell the bleach. Could I have added too much bleach with my initial dose because I am using concentrated bleach. I added 10 jugs.

Wow, 10x 3 qt is 30qts or 7.5 gallons. It will be high for a bit. What is the bleach concentration? There should be a percentage listed somewhere on the bottle. Two gallons or so probably would have been enough to start. Keep monitoring and add as needed. Try to keep it off yourself. This is a daunting thing to do but you will be happy when it's over.

According to Pool Math, 960 oz (3 qts = 96oz. x 10 jugs =960oz.) of concentrated bleach (usually 8.25%) in 13,500 gal. of water gives you an initial FC level of 47 ppm. Sustained unstable FC at that level can bleach you liner, among other things. Going forward test frequently, make sure you are using Pool Math correctly, and only add enough bleach to get your FC up around 15ppm.

My pool is still cloudy white and my FC is now 6. I know it says to keep it up at 15, should I continue to do so even though I added too much chlorine in the first place?

Yes. What is done is done.

Stick to the process and you will start to see progress. Are you taking pictures? Look at my conversion (Linked in my signature). There is a photo from Sunday (Day 2) at 2:00 and one from 5:00. The difference is clear, but I never would have noticed with only my mind's eye. These particular photos are on page 2 of that thread. Bump your FC level to 15 and call it a night. Test and bump again in the morning.

Yes. What is done is done.

Stick to the process and you will start to see progress. Are you taking pictures? Look at my conversion (Linked in my signature). There is a photo from Sunday (Day 2) at 2:00 and one from 5:00. The difference is clear, but I never would have noticed with only my mind's eye. These particular photos are on page 2 of that thread. Bump your FC level to 15 and call it a night. Test and bump again in the morning.

I just checked the pool since last night at 10. It's still cloudy white. FC 6 so I added a bleach. No goo globs yet, not that I'm complaining. It will be 24 hours at 10 this morning. I guess I was expecting a green color and not the cloudy white that I have.

Have you read how conversions went for others? Many of the threads on this particular board have pictures and you can compare your progress and timeline to theirs.

You may not get goo, to floating anyway. Most of my gunk settled to the bottom. Vacuum it up and keep testing and dosing.

No promises (because each conversion is different), but depending on how persistent you are, you should start to seeing a change in the next 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been 26 hours since I started and I can see the bottom of my pool especially by the ladder. I have not seen any goo or anything brown like you had. I keep feeling the bottom of the pool with my brush and nothing is coming up. I haven't vacuumed yet. I have back washed twice so far.

Update: My pool is crystal clear. I failed my OCLT test last night. My CC is 1.8. I am assuming there is still Baqua in there since my FC is still dropping. It will be 48 hours at 10am today since I started my conversion. I know every conversion is different but does this sound normal?
I read from Chris's story that he had to get into the pool and scrub around the light and steps. Dis everyone else have to do this? If so, what level FC is safe for me to go into the water?
So far, I plan on keeping the FC up to 15 all day again today and try the OCLT again tonight. If I pass, I'll change my sand and start with the CYA. I am planning on going out of town Tuesday at 5, I'm hoping this will be done. Does this sound doable?

My recollection is that baquacil turns into baquagoo and that scrubbing is a must to get rid of the last remnants. Even behind and beneath steps ladders and lights.

With no CYA, 10 FC is about as high as you want to go before you get in. It won't kill you if it's higher, but plan on a shower and shampoo and maybe some conditioner in either case. And don't wear your favorite trunks unless they're already white.

And it sounds like you're making better than average progress.

My recollection is that baquacil turns into baquagoo and that scrubbing is a must to get rid of the last remnants. Even behind and beneath steps ladders and lights.

With no CYA, 10 FC is about as high as you want to go before you get in. It won't kill you if it's higher, but plan on a shower and shampoo and maybe some conditioner in either case. And don't wear your favorite trunks unless they're already white.

And it sounds like you're making better than average progress.

What about if I do not have any visible "aqua goo". I have swept the floor and found nothing My pool is totally crystal clear.
Do you have to change the sand if there is no goo?

What about if I do not have any visible "aqua goo". I have swept the floor and found nothing My pool is totally crystal clear.
Do you have to change the sand if there is no goo?
Do you have steps or a ladder in the pool? They need to be cleaned. There's no way around it.

Going by the Conversion article

6. Brushing and/or vacuuming is helpful.
7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media.
Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

So the answer is yes to both questions.

Sounds like you are on the right track, Hoover.

When I got in the water in the evening, there was little to no FC from my morning dose. The Sun burned off most of it. Get an old tooth brush and find that goo!!!

I did what you said. My son and I got into the pool and scrubbed the ladder and light fixture and around the skimmer door. It's back up to 15. I'll make sure it's up before I go to bed then re heck in the am. My water is soooo clear. I love it! I just want to get this conversion over. It's so hard looking at the water knowing that I'm not done yet and that there is more work to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.