Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: noob question about PoolMath and starting slam

1. Back To Top    #1

noob question about PoolMath and starting slam

hi all! spent the past coupple hours reading through all the various articles on here about slamming and water chemisty. i seem to have a solid understanding now enough that i feel comfortable beginning my slam. We just closed on our house and i pulled the cover off the pool 2 days ago, only to find a very green mess. i proceeded to track down and assemble the pump, sand filter and valve. after some backwashing and gasket replacement, i am up and running!. unfortunately, before i found this site i made the crappy mistake of going to the pool store, luckily only spent $45, but still its money that couldve went to bleach. my question is from the calculators ive tried, im somewhere in the 13k-15k gallon range. how much freaking bleach (8.5%) do i add to get to my necessary shock value of 16? CYA is holding between 30-50. have trest kit on order through amazon. should i just pour a single bottle of bleach in per day? or more? the poolmath calcualtor is confusing me right now and i appreciate the help
    24' ABG, Sparco Sandfilter, Hayward skimmer box, 1.5hp pump, City water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: noob question about PoolMath and starting slam

Assuming a 14,000 gallon pool (good enough to start with) I show 415 ounces to go from 0 ppm to 20 ppm FC. 20 is your shock value based on a CYA of 50. Though I would stick with a plan of adding a gallon a day until your test kit arrives so you can confirm your pH and CYA first.

Welcome and good luck!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Tool View Post
    Assuming a 14,000 gallon pool (good enough to start with) I show 415 ounces to go from 0 ppm to 20 ppm FC. 20 is your shock value based on a CYA of 50. Though I would stick with a plan of adding a gallon a day until your test kit arrives so you can confirm your pH and CYA first.

Welcome and good luck!
    awesome thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

just sucks too because i was really hoping to get this slam started today, ill be out of town all weekend and my test kit wont be here till thursday

4. Back To Top    #4

Unfortunately, if you started today you would have been working well through the weekend likely. If it is really a green mess, you are looking at several weeks potentially. It's a lot of water, but close to the break point for a full dump and refill. Maybe some others can offer advice for a decision for next week.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

for some reason, i cant get the photo to upload. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

that link is the best i can do for a photo right now

6. Back To Top    #6

To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    i apologize Jblizzle....i missed that tutorial

8. Back To Top    #8

decided to atleast check the local pool stores to see if they had the suggested test kits from this site... (theres 3 stores within 15 minutes of us). none of them did. i had one of the worst advice/conversations with a dude at PC. i explained my scenario, he said "oh i dont ever test while shocking, you have algae, jsut do 6 bags of shock now, and if its still green tomorrow, do 6 more bags." i just walked away from him. and for numbers sake...12 bags of shock...thats $54 lmao.

9. Back To Top    #9

"oh i dont ever test while shocking, you have algae, jsut do 6 bags of shock now, and if its still green tomorrow, do 6 more bags."
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

lmao right?!? i used to have a 125g saltwater fish tank. in that hobby i learned quickly that you dont add chems unless you are testing for them first. the same applies to a swimming pool. the fac tthat he said he doesnt mess with test kits, i quit listening to him right then and there. still awaiting the test kit. now im fighting a battle with the sand filter again, had it on bypass just to keep the water circulating, switched it over to filter. made it maybe an hour before the pressure started building up and for some reason sprung a leak right where the valve body meets the sand container. gonna take it apart today and see whats going on. wish there was some way to put a heavier duty o-ring in so it didnt spring leaks unit isnt even that old