Effects of anti-freeze in pool water

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
When I closed last year I used antifreeze in the suction and return lines (RV/Boat/Pool AF) because I was using duck plugs for the first time. So I'm about to clear these lines. if I blow the Anti Freeze into the pool, any idea how that will affect my chemistry? Should I test and balance before the antifreeze hits the water? I'm thinking after makes more sense.

Thanks.

In general no effect, though that is debatable. I think the general consensus was that it won't really cause any negative issues if it gets into the pool, but where possible try to direct it away from the pool.

What I did last year, was to start the pump with the filter set to waste. This cleared up the suction side. For the return side, I opened one return at a time and put my vacuum hose over the open return and directed the antifreeze water into the yard. Once the first return blew for a minute or two, I opened the other return and again used the hose for a minute. Fortunately, I have only two returns so it wasn't too bad. It was a little tedious especially doing it alone but better than seeing the pink cloud blow into the pool.

I thought I remembered seeing something also, but couldn't find it (I don't know if I'm using it wrong, but sometimes the search function shows 0 results for me), hence my asking. If I recall from last year Chem Geek mentioned something in a post, but it was off topic so I can't remember what the post was about. Maybe Chem Geek can chime in (is there way to tag someone in a post?).

there was a post about a guy having stinging red eyes, and apparently it was caused by the RV antifreeze. He SLAM'ed the pool and it fixed his problem, so I would say that the antifreeze does indeed eat up FC. Though I would consider that a good thing.

I don't understand the benefits though, even if you are using plugs. I blow all the water out of my lines, plug them, and call it a winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.