How to drain some water from pool

Jun 6, 2016
parlin
Hi everyone! New pool owner here and having a few issues with our pool. Pardon me if I'm using newbie language:) we have too much water in our pool and need to drain some out and looking for a good pump to use to do so. Not sure the name of it. Someone on social media has one, worth 850 and would sell to us for $250. Not sure what I'm looking for. We have a cartridge filter so no backwash. Not looking to break the bank but I'm sure we will need to drain some water out a few times this summer after rain. Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone! New pool owner here and having a few issues with our pool. Pardon me if I'm using newbie language:) we have too much water in our pool and need to drain some out and looking for a good pump to use to do so. Not sure the name of it. Someone on social media has one, worth 850 and would sell to us for $250. Not sure what I'm looking for. We have a cartridge filter so no backwash. Not looking to break the bank but I'm sure we will need to drain some water out a few times this summer after rain. Thanks for your help!
If the pool is above-ground, siphoning works. Use the vacuum hose if you have one, it flows much more than a garden hose. You don't need to suck on it to get it started. Just feed it under the pool surface slowly and vertically so the air gets forced out. Then cap it with your hand and haul it out and over as fast as you can and get the open end below the waterline and it'll flow.

If your pool is inground, you can find an adequate submersible pump at a hardware store for 75 bucks or so.

Reactions: toolerb50
Well, I tried the hose thing. The hose kept coming out as I was trying to get the siphon going....and I can't find anything to hold it on there,so I'm going to wait for my husband to get home to try it. My neighbors that can see into my yard go quite the show. If someone was taping it, they need to send it to America's Funniest Home Videos lol Thanks all for your suggestions so far. since we've shelled out a ton of money on this pool thus far, we're going to try the hose method first since it's the most budget friendly :)

Well, I tried the hose thing. The hose kept coming out as I was trying to get the siphon going....and I can't find anything to hold it on there,so I'm going to wait for my husband to get home to try it. My neighbors that can see into my yard go quite the show. If someone was taping it, they need to send it to America's Funniest Home Videos lol Thanks all for your suggestions so far. since we've shelled out a ton of money on this pool thus far, we're going to try the hose method first since it's the most budget friendly :)
The vacuum head will weight the end down inside the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a two-hose scheme to drain my inground pool. Connect them together and leave the connection submerged, and run the other end down as low on the property as you can get (you'll need some sort of downhill slope to work with). Turn the spigot on for a while, then turn it off. Disconnect the connection and the siphon should start going.

It can take a while but it is inherently safe. Wherever you position the hose in the pool is as far down as it will drain, so you can leave it going unattended.

Close one of the valves on the pool, (if you have these shutoffs), unhook the hose at the filter, and then open up that ones valve. Drain some of the water off to the side, then close the valve, hook the hose back up, reopen the valve again.
Why buy anything when all you may need to do is pop a hose off? Unless of course its hard plumbed, or your not allowed to dump the water other than into a proper drain.

So far the hose is working:) got it draining to the street, it's allowed here. My husbsnd said we don't need to drain too much but the skimmer was hardly able to move when the filter was on. The skimmer bucket or whatever it's called is full. Even when the filter ran, the little window on the filter where i ususlly saw bubbles from the water flowimg through, today i saw nothimg. My husbsnd said bc that was full to the brim. I'm no pool expert in the least but I'm thinking that can't be good, coupled with the fact that the skimmer could hardly move. Thoughts?

Please fill your signature out with your pool details.

I use my vacuum hose while it's still attached to the vac plate n hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.