Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to drain some water from pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How to drain some water from pool

Hi everyone! New pool owner here and having a few issues with our pool. Pardon me if I'm using newbie language we have too much water in our pool and need to drain some out and looking for a good pump to use to do so. Not sure the name of it. Someone on social media has one, worth 850 and would sell to us for $250. Not sure what I'm looking for. We have a cartridge filter so no backwash. Not looking to break the bank but I'm sure we will need to drain some water out a few times this summer after rain. Thanks for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to drain some water from pool

Any small submersible sump pump will work fine. Harbor Freight has some inexpensive ones, under 100 bucks. You do not need an $850 pump for that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

If I need to drain some (or all) of the water I just use a garden hose. Once it's full of water, I pull one end out and drain water across the yard and down a hill to some woods. I can, and have, drained my whole pool in less than 24 hours that way.
    Suzy
    Intex Metal Frame Pool - 15' x 48" - 4440 gallons, with the Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 1500 gph
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System - 7000 gallons. TF-100 test kit
    Installed June 2014 - complete newbie to pool ownership

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrusso View Post
    Hi everyone! New pool owner here and having a few issues with our pool. Pardon me if I'm using newbie language we have too much water in our pool and need to drain some out and looking for a good pump to use to do so. Not sure the name of it. Someone on social media has one, worth 850 and would sell to us for $250. Not sure what I'm looking for. We have a cartridge filter so no backwash. Not looking to break the bank but I'm sure we will need to drain some water out a few times this summer after rain. Thanks for your help!
    If the pool is above-ground, siphoning works. Use the vacuum hose if you have one, it flows much more than a garden hose. You don't need to suck on it to get it started. Just feed it under the pool surface slowly and vertically so the air gets forced out. Then cap it with your hand and haul it out and over as fast as you can and get the open end below the waterline and it'll flow.

If your pool is inground, you can find an adequate submersible pump at a hardware store for 75 bucks or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are going to be draining on a regular basis its often good to install a hose spigot between the pump and the filter. That way you turn on your pump and can drain.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I tried the hose thing. The hose kept coming out as I was trying to get the siphon going....and I can't find anything to hold it on there,so I'm going to wait for my husband to get home to try it. My neighbors that can see into my yard go quite the show. If someone was taping it, they need to send it to America's Funniest Home Videos lol Thanks all for your suggestions so far. since we've shelled out a ton of money on this pool thus far, we're going to try the hose method first since it's the most budget friendly

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrusso View Post
    Well, I tried the hose thing. The hose kept coming out as I was trying to get the siphon going....and I can't find anything to hold it on there,so I'm going to wait for my husband to get home to try it. My neighbors that can see into my yard go quite the show. If someone was taping it, they need to send it to America's Funniest Home Videos lol Thanks all for your suggestions so far. since we've shelled out a ton of money on this pool thus far, we're going to try the hose method first since it's the most budget friendly
    The vacuum head will weight the end down inside the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

i got me a submersible pump from harbor freight just this weekend for $37 with a coupon that came in the mail to me. really works fast.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

10. Back To Top    #10

We got this pump at Menards for $55. It works great.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

11. Back To Top    #11

I use a two-hose scheme to drain my inground pool. Connect them together and leave the connection submerged, and run the other end down as low on the property as you can get (you'll need some sort of downhill slope to work with). Turn the spigot on for a while, then turn it off. Disconnect the connection and the siphon should start going.

It can take a while but it is inherently safe. Wherever you position the hose in the pool is as far down as it will drain, so you can leave it going unattended.

12. Back To Top    #12

Close one of the valves on the pool, (if you have these shutoffs), unhook the hose at the filter, and then open up that ones valve. Drain some of the water off to the side, then close the valve, hook the hose back up, reopen the valve again.
    Why buy anything when all you may need to do is pop a hose off? Unless of course its hard plumbed, or your not allowed to dump the water other than into a proper drain.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

13. Back To Top    #13

So far the hose is working got it draining to the street, it's allowed here. My husbsnd said we don't need to drain too much but the skimmer was hardly able to move when the filter was on. The skimmer bucket or whatever it's called is full. Even when the filter ran, the little window on the filter where i ususlly saw bubbles from the water flowimg through, today i saw nothimg. My husbsnd said bc that was full to the brim. I'm no pool expert in the least but I'm thinking that can't be good, coupled with the fact that the skimmer could hardly move. Thoughts?

14. Back To Top    #14

Please fill your signature out with your pool details.

I use my vacuum hose while it's still attached to the vac plate n hose.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter