Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start a slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to start a slam

should I hold off on the chlorine until CH & TA are adjusted? also should I increase CYA.
    FC 0
    TC2.56
    ph 7.3
    CH166
    TA 69
    CYA 21ppm
    20 by 40 inground pool vinyl lined Hayward sand filter chlorine tabs dispenser and pool chlorine approx 35000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to start a slam

Hello! Don't worry about CH or TA right now. PH is perfect for a SLAM. CYA is a little low. You could increase it slightly to 30. Right now, add regular bleach for an FC target of 10. Once you add a little more stabilizer, increase the FC to "12" and you'll be off to the SLAM-races. Make sure to check FC quite often the first day or so to "maintain" the required FC level and follow all the guidance on the SLAM page (link below) for best results.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I am using 12.5% sodium hypo. My targets should be the same just using less to get there?
    20 by 40 inground pool vinyl lined Hayward sand filter chlorine tabs dispenser and pool chlorine approx 35000 gal

4. Back To Top    #4
    TFP Guide

Use this to determine how much to add http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

What are you using to test?
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cmwy10a View Post
    Thanks, I am using 12.5% sodium hypo. My targets should be the same just using less to get there?
    correct!

What are you using to test with?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Still waiting for my test kit. Since starting i have used 40 gallons of 12.5% and filter has been running continuously(except for backwashing) and i have to add water frequently. Vacuuming to waste, brushing and praying. There is no sign of improvement yet Kit should come in Friday. I will continue to add 5 to 10 gallons a day. I have a deadline of June 19. Is it feasible to hit that . If not I will need to cover the pool and probably keep it closed this season. If I reach that point should I winterize it now or keep filter running under the cover. till labor day when the pool is closed normally. Pool is 30 years old and never had this problem. Our home is occupied most of July and August by a relative house sitter that has always kept a clean pool that we turned over to him as clean when we return but can't rely on him to fix our problem.

7. Back To Top    #7
    TFP Guide

How does the water look now? Is it improving? Pics?
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

Will try to post pics when the sun is up but it is a solid green with visibility of 15 inches. None of the bottom is visible

9. Back To Top    #9

Since you confirmed you are waiting on your test kit, I would recommend you back-off a bit and not try to go too far. You've already added quite a bit of 12.5% bleach in the past, and whatever we recommend in the future needs to be pinpoint accurate to increase the potential of the SLAM to work, and to save you money. No wasted time or money here at TFP. Just add ONE gallon of bleach each day until your kit arrives. Once it does, post a full set of test results and we'll know for sure what to do. Have a nice day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

IMAG0976.jpgIMAG0977.jpgwill do here are pics

11. Back To Top    #11

Good pics! Thx. 2 more questions:
    1 - Is your tab dispenser empty?
    2 - Water is your water source (city or well)?

12. Back To Top    #12

tab is full but set off or very low feed. we have well water with salt softener

13. Back To Top    #13

At this point, as I noted above in post #9, I would recommend only adding one gallon of bleach each day until you receive your test kit. I would also remove any tabs/pucks from your feeder. Those feeders are notorious for never really closing or adjusting as desired on the dial, therefore you could be adding FC and CYA to your water every day. Also, I believe that even though you are using a water softener, which will help to reduce your CH (hardness), I don't believe it will remove the metals (i.e. iron). Something you may want to do while waiting on your test kit is to take a fresh water sample from your source (hose) and have it tested for metal at the pool store- just to help in our future discussions. It may be relevant later. Just ignore all the other chatter and advice form the clerk, just take your computer printout and let us know what it shows for iron/copper.

14. Back To Top    #14

still no kit but removed the tablets got a new water test result from pool store
    FC 8.07
    TC 9.26
    CC 1.19
    ph 7.4
    H 142ppm
    Alk(with stabil correction)33ppm I have never seen this correction not this test from a different store
    CYA 44ppm
    copper 0.2ppm
    iron 0.2ppm

did not get home water tested but our water system does reduce iron.

NB when pool was opened I was told that I would soon need a new top valve. Backwashing has been inconsistent with much algae one time and little or none. Next Tuesday am having new top valve installed. Let me know if this changes your 1 gal per day recommendation till the kit arrives(tomorrow or Saturday who knows) but the valve is great unknown.

15. Back To Top    #15

The top valve you are referring to, is that on top of the filter itself? The multiport valve?

16. Back To Top    #16

That's the one

17. Back To Top    #17

The new valve doesn't change the recommendation to add bleach each day until your kit arrives. It should resolve any filter operating issues between cycle positions though. As for the algae ... that's all chemicals once you get your own kit and can post those numbers. It is good your softener can remove some iron. Hopefully it will be enough to prevent reactions with the chlorine.

18. Back To Top    #18

kit arrived
    FC 12.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.3
    TA 60
    CH140
    CYA 40
    will start slaming at dusk unless you suggest otherwise. Adde i gal 12.7% 6am. pool still looks like pix.

19. Back To Top    #19

HOraaaa! Outstanding. Let's see ... pH is good (check), CYA is good (check), and FC almost there - just need to increase to "16" for that CYA of 40. Everything else is ready for you to "SLAM". Good luck!

20. Back To Top    #20

Just an update. Pool slowly improving with color now at cloudy blue grey. Visibility improved so that the shallow bottom is visible through the cloudy water. Have been concentrating on the FC and CC. Last night the level got FRC got to 21 and this morning it was 15. there was new visible algae on some spots on the the walls and I brushed and continued to run tiger shark and filter which has been running continuously(except for frequent backwashing). Water is added almost everyday. Mother nature adds leaves and pollen and bugs with 20 to 30 mile gusts but have been getting most of this out several times a day. Have not been doing other tests except for occasional CC which last night was .5 I worry that i might have something other then green algae. Back to pool shop this morning for 4 new 5 gallon containers. Walmarts are sold out around here. BTW I added a full bottle of algacide on the 3rd of June but it looks like more blown money.
    Pool company here tomorrow to replace multiport valve but it seems to be functioning. Thinking of adding DE to sand filter. Any thoughts on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast