Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    6

    Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    I have a Coleman 18x48 pool . id like to add a through the wall skimmer but i already filled the pool. Has anyone tried to add skimmer with pool full?

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,200

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    Hi, welcome to TFP! You may want to drain some of the water to just below where the skimmer will be installed. You want the pool to be partially filed as it will provide some support for the skimmer. Here is a link with instructions for installing a skimmer on an intex style pool.
    Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    6

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    Thank for the reply. I've done all the research and bought a Hayward. I'm mainly wondering if anyone on here has tried to do it with water in the pool. I don't want to drain the pool . I read on a forum of someone doing this method but I can't remember where I seen it.


  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    246

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    You dont need to drain the pool, but you should definitely lower the water level to below where you make the cut.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    105

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    I installed one last year and best I remember I did not drain my pool. You simply make the cut after everything else is installed.
    15'x45" AGP Metal Frame with SWG Intex 2500GHP - Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit - TF 100

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    6

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Hi, welcome to TFP! You may want to drain some of the water to just below where the skimmer will be installed. You want the pool to be partially filed as it will provide some support for the skimmer. Here is a link with instructions for installing a skimmer on an intex style pool.
    Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!!
    This is perfect! Thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkpen View Post
    I have a Coleman 18x48 pool . id like to add a through the wall skimmer but i already filled the pool. Has anyone tried to add skimmer with pool full?


  7. Back To Top    #7
    philc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Grand Island Nebraska
    Posts
    190

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    I too did mine with the pool 100% filled. Just lost a little when each screw was pushed through the vinyl. I plumbed the skimmer with a shut off valve, so when I cut out the square the plumbing simply filled.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    6

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    Quote Originally Posted by philc View Post
    I too did mine with the pool 100% filled. Just lost a little when each screw was pushed through the vinyl. I plumbed the skimmer with a shut off valve, so when I cut out the square the plumbing simply filled.
    Thank you!


  9. Back To Top    #9
    mac.dblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Posts
    321

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    Quote Originally Posted by wizardmt70 View Post
    I installed one last year and best I remember I did not drain my pool. You simply make the cut after everything else is installed.
    This ^^^^^

    And my final piece of advice... Make sure you use a #3 phillips screwdriver to tighten the screws. The larger head creates more torque and will tighten the screws that extra bit they need to make the gasket seal. I tried with a #2 and had them as tight as I could get them but still had a slow trickle. Broke out the #3, twisted on them hard, each bolt made a nerve wrecking cracking sound but the leak stopped.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

  10. Back To Top    #10
    jmcdtucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    314

    Re: Install through the wall Skimmer with pool full.

    Yeah I remember having to really crank those screws down.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •