Intex Skimmer Causes Pump to Suck Air

May 23, 2016
cedar rapids, iowa
I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I have a 16ft frame pool with the intex swg (1200 gph) with cartridge filter . The skimmer is a bit finnicky.

I happened to notice that the intake was indeed clogged up underneath the blue screw-on adapter used by the skimmer. We have cottonwoods that make an awful mess this time of year. I cleaned that off and it seemed to improve, but didn't go away.

Air is being pulled in somewhere, it's obvious from the sound of the pump. If I pull off the skimmer hose from the blue adapter and it just pulls water through normally, it sounds absolutely fine. I add the skimmer hose back and the pumps returns to it's labored sound.

I've tried adjusting the skimmer in every which way. The hose is very stiff and causes the skimmer to never quite sit level, but even if I hold the skimmer in the most proper position it still draws in air.

This time of year the skimmer is a big part of keeping the surface clean but most of the time I just have to turn off the skimmer.

If anyone has any new suggestions that would be great!

Hello! :handwave: This is one of those over-the-wall skimmers right? Unfortunately those aren't the best. Since you tested by removing the hose to the blue adapter (going from the bottom of the hanging skimmer to the inside of the wall correct?), then you know it has to be that top unit. Even though the hose is under water, the skimmer basket sits up there and not only gets tricks at the water level, but also might be influenced by waves on the water surface. If you have a lot of agitation in the basket, it may be creating air bubbles right at the top of that basket. Not sure if this would make a difference, but maybe try dropping a tennis ball in there to see if it reduces the amount of air generated in that area. "Maybe" you'll see a difference. It's been a while since I had my Intex, so I can't think of any other remedies other than replacing that factory skimmer with a thru-wall skimmer. Maybe some other Intex owners will have a suggestion or two. Best of luck, and great to have you with us at TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.