Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Doing My Best

1. Back To Top    #1

Doing My Best

Someone posted yesterday on a Buy, Sell, Trade thread on Facebook yesterday about how bad their pool looks. Wanted help. Let's just say all of the replies go against most everything we believe on here. I will say this, more people use bleach than I realize. I've heard "locked up" among other terms. Of course most want them to take a sample to the local pool store. I did my part and told them to buy a good test kit and gave them the link to TFP. We will see how it goes. I just want people to know! I'm two years to the good!
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doing My Best

Thanks for the shout out!

The problem I see is that a segment of the population is just looking for a quick fix, including a large number who show up here. The problem is, we can't help them if they don't want to help themselves. I find it funny that they will complain that a $70 test kit is too expensive after they have dropped a couple of hundred on algecide, floculant and clarifier which didn't work.

Keep up the good work, but don't get discouraged if they don't buy in to having to actually work to get a pretty pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

That is what gets me too. I can see going to the pool store a couple of times because that is what "everyone does". But, how many weeks in a row can you go spend $100+ with poor results before you want to try something else? Especially a $70 test kit and some $3 bleach!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't guess we can save those that don't want to be saved.

I had a guy come to my work station the other day and flat asked me, what do you do to your pool? How do you open to clear water? I told him everything. I showed him the pool math calculator and everything. Will he buy in? I'm not sure. I told him once he gets going, he can predict what his pool conditions would be.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

For a lot of people, especially acquaintances and friends, it is "pride" that gets the best of them. The idea of having to admit that one has failed at taking care of a swimming pool does not sit well. In reality, good humans like to help other people and their is nothing wrong with asking for help. Getting over this hurdle is a tough one. The forum allows you to work with great people all over the country that you do not even know.

I have friends (now up to 6) that have ordered TF-100 test kits with speed stir's, even though not part of the forum come to me for help. I enjoy it.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by SCon36 View Post
    So very true! I was talking to the woman who does my hair yesterday about her pool. She said she goes to the pool store "all the time" and runs her SWG at super chlorinate always. She also mentioned she had a "slight" algae problem though. I just kept my mouth shut.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system