Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a good calcium source in the Chicago area

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a good calcium source in the Chicago area

Hi guys...can anyone I the Chicago area point me in the right direction of a good/cheap source of calcium?

I can't find any of the products that are recommended in the pool school article, and it seems like all of the ice melt products here have lots of added other stuff in it (magnesium, etc.)

I found a Morton's ice melt that was a combination of calcium chloride and sodium chloride, so I bought that, but when I opened the bag, it was pretty much all salt with a touch of calcium sprinkled in.

Any suggestions?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a good calcium source in the Chicago area

Ok, given no takers, can anyone anywhere point me in the right direction for cheap calcium out of a 40lb bag? Preferably from a national big box.

They don't do a good job of putting the specific ingredients on the label, so I want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

3. Back To Top    #3

At another TFPer's recommendation I ordered this online:
    Snow Joe MELT Calcium Chloride Pellets Ice Melter (50 lb. Resealable Bag) MELT50CCP - Walmart.com

I found other things to order to give me free shipping.

It was not packed very well so the bag has a hole in it, so I will need to put the extra in a sealable bucket. I haven't used it yet, but the person who did noted no ill effects in his pool.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Get Morton Safe-T-Power Ice and Melt from Amazon. It's 100% Calcium Chloride.
    http://www.amazon.com/Morton-Safe-T-...-garden&sr=1-1

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Your posts gave me the aha! moment of not searching for ice melt and reading labels, but instead simply searching for "calcium chloride." Home Depot has a clearance sale on big bags, so problem solved. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

As an aside, the Home Depot sale is in the Snow Joe that Jamie mentioned above.

7. Back To Top    #7

looking for some calcium also, found this from ULINE, would appreciate someone look it over and give opinion if OK to use $20 plus shipping, $22.48 here in ATL or $25 will call (which i think is crazy)

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

SDS ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies
    Tallman Monterey (fiberglass), 16'x33', 11500 gallons, 480 sq/ft, Depth: 3' - 5' 6", Salt Water, TF-100, Pentair pump, sand filter, Easy Touch Control System, SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Just bought 50lbs from Home Depot for $11. Free shipping for store pickup.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Just bought 50lbs from Home Depot for $11. Free shipping for store pickup.
    Snow Joe 50 lb. Re-Sealable Bag Premium Enviro-Blend Ice Melter with CMA-MELT50EB - The Home Depot

$8.20/50 lb bag - wow

I already ordered the $4/9lb Mortons stuff off amazon
    Tallman Monterey (fiberglass), 16'x33', 11500 gallons, 480 sq/ft, Depth: 3' - 5' 6", Salt Water, TF-100, Pentair pump, sand filter, Easy Touch Control System, SWG