slightly cloudy pool

Sep 20, 2015
Havertown
I am using the BBB method for pool balancing. My water was crystal clear last week and balanced well. I didn't test for chlorine for several days and now my pool is getting a little cloudy. I also have a skimmer sock which has some mild algae on there now. Yesterday, the FC was zero and then I shocked it with 50 ounces of bleach (6%). Should I get the FC level to higher than 8? Today, the FC is 1.0. I'm using the Poolmaster 5 way test kit.

Above ground
4500 gallon

FC 1.0
pH 7.8
TA 110
CYA 50

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, your FC is extremely low for your pool with a CYA of 50. Your FC should never be below 4. Now that it has, I suspect you have an algae bloom starting which is why it's cloudy. I would recommend first lowering your pH to about 7.2, then taking your FC up to the SLAM level of "20" and perform a "SLAM" (link below). Maintain that FC of 20 until you pass all3 SLAM criteria. Use regular bleach as your sanitizer, and if you have any chlorine tabs/pucks in use, remove them.

I suspect however that your Poolmaster 5-Way kit won't test FC over 5ppm. If not, you'll need to order the FAS-DPD test product as seen HERE.

Let us know if you have any questions. Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.