Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the Percentage setting actually mean?

1. Back To Top    #1

What does the Percentage setting actually mean?

With these automated systems, when you set your %'age setting for your SWG what exactly is happening?

Let's use a 50% setting example:

If I am running my pump for 8 hours does this mean that the SWG is producing chlorine for 4 hours? Or does it mean it produces the entire 8 hour run, but only at 50% capacity?

Depending on the answer to that question, I am going to have a follow up question. (See sig below for my exact equipment.)
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What does the Percentage setting actually mean?

The percentage is the amount of time the SWG will be producing chlorine over whatever time it is on. So, if you turn the SWG on for an hour at 50%, it will only produce chlorine for half an hour.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. So the follow up question is: If my system is set up to run from 10am - 6pm, which 4 hours is the SWG running? The first 4? The last 4? Somewhere in between?

And say for whatever reason I want to manually kick on the pump. i.e. I have some friends over and it's nighttime and going for a swim. So I kick on pump at 7:00 pm when it normally would be off. Then we are done using pool at 9:00 and I turn off pump. The system didn't know I was going to be running it for 2 hours. So was the SWG producing during this time?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

AFAIK
    the SWG will produce any time the pump is on
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I am not sure anyone has done test on the actual timing of how frequently power gets applied to the cell at 50% but I know it is fairly frequently any where from seconds on/off to minutes on/off certainly not hours. Many recommend running the cell at or near 100% and reducing pump time because there does not seem to be much if any impact on the useful life of a cell at say 8hrs @ 50% vs 4 hours at 100% per day but you do save energy running the pump 1/2 the time.

The SWG will generate any time you have it on but you don't have to set it to be on if you have reached the FC level you are shooting for.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

6. Back To Top    #6

So you are saying that it is constantly cycling on/off based on the %'age it is set at? I would not be comfortable running the pump only 4 hours a day on a pool my size. I don't think the water would be recirculated enough.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Yes it cycles on/off 50% would half time on half off. 25% would quarter time on three quarter off and so on. 4 hours might be a little on the low side depending on many factors on the other hand 8 hours is probably overkill. I run my pump 4 to 5 hours at 1100RPM to filter depending on how much we are using the pool and an and additional 30 min at high speed with the Polaris for sweeping and the pool looks great. Truthfully I was just using 4 hours vs. 8 for demonstration purposes not suggesting a course of action.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

There is an article linked here somewhere on a study dine in CA for pool electric use and effiecency

The net net was that most people who dont have SWG run the filter way too long

You need to run the filter just long enough to exchange the water 1 or 2 x and keep the water clear ...

Ill see if can find the link
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Are you referring to the study posted by mas985? It is located here and the conclusion was that turning over the water every day is not needed.

10. Back To Top    #10

Each SWG/mfg has a different cycle time. i.e., 90 minute cycle time or 2 hour cycle time. So, it would produce chlorine half of the time in the 2 hour cycle time. I've seen posts listing the cycle times but I don't remember what they are.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Are you referring to the study posted by mas985? It is located here and the conclusion was that turning over the water every day is not needed.
    Yes - thanks for link

sorry to mis remember the state and the details - My take away was that as long as my water is clear I dont need to run the pumps for 12 hours a day
    Of course all that changes when the replaster is done and salt its put back in ...

12. Back To Top    #12

this leads me to ask if the SWG produces only when the pump is on high or on low for a variable speed pump. if turned up to super chlorinate does the pump run on high for 24 hrs? thanks for allowing me to piggy back!
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't have a variable speed pump. But as long as you have enough flow for the SWG to operate, the chlorine production is the same. Speed of pump is not going to increase or decrease the amount of chlorine produced.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Each SWG/mfg has a different cycle time. i.e., 90 minute cycle time or 2 hour cycle time. So, it would produce chlorine half of the time in the 2 hour cycle time. I've seen posts listing the cycle times but I don't remember what they are.
    Just going to reiterate this post. There are cycle times over which the % on/off is determined ... the SWG does not know how long you will have it set to be on.

Assuming a 2 hour cycle and 50% setting. If you run the pump/SWG for 1 hour, it will generate the entire time. If your run the pump/SWG for 2 hours, it will generate the first hour and be off the 2nd hour. If you run the pump/SWG for 3 hours, it will generate for an hour, be off an hour, and then be back on for an hour. Etc
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

So the post above about it cycling from seconds on/off to minutes on/off certainly not hours is wrong? Cause now I am really confused.

JBlizz - Any idea of the cycle time of a Hayward T-Cell-15?

16. Back To Top    #16

Yeah, that seconds/minutes is not correct.

I don't recall for the T-15. I think it actually changed at some point. There are some threads around that mention it.
    There are some manufacturers that are 90, 120, and 180 minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Cool. TY.

18. Back To Top    #18

This says the Hayward is 180 minutes:
    Hayward Aquarite SWCG cycle times
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Just going to reiterate this post. There are cycle times over which the % on/off is determined ... the SWG does not know how long you will have it set to be on.

Assuming a 2 hour cycle and 50% setting. If you run the pump/SWG for 1 hour, it will generate the entire time. If your run the pump/SWG for 2 hours, it will generate the first hour and be off the 2nd hour. If you run the pump/SWG for 3 hours, it will generate for an hour, be off an hour, and then be back on for an hour. Etc

On my Hayward, the SWG runs on a 3-hour cycle (from Hayward support). Therefore, if it runs for 3 hours, it will generate for 90 minutes and idle for 90 minutes. If run for 2 hours, it will generate for 90 minutes and idle 30 minutes. on a 6-hour cycle, 90 mins on, 90 mins off, 90 on, 90 off.
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

Perfect guys. Between the last post and the thread Jbliz attached, you guys have answered a question that has haunted me for years.

As a side note, the reason I am so inquisitive about this is because anyone who has run long pump times at 100% knows that the SWG will spike the heck out of your pH because of the aeration caused by the production of chlorine gas. I am trying to achieve the lowest possible %'age in order to avoid these wild pH bounces I have experienced in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast