We need a plant next to pool, but which one?

May 15, 2016
AUSTEX
As a visual barrier to a home next door, we have been thinking of a large plant in a pot, which would be physically very close to the spa. We would need something in the 6-8' height and 3-4' wide eventually. One suggestion was a cherry laurel, but I realize I have no idea what would work from a "debris generator" standpoint. I thought of clump bamboo, but just concerned about sloughing off of the stalks. What would you suggest? :confused:

Well....if it's "pretty"..it's gonna flower, and end up in your spa!. How about a decorative section of fence--lattice maybe---with some kind of vine on it. Carolina Jasmine?

I would be very cautious about bamboo, there are literally hundreds of varieties so you might be able to find one that will work but it can be very aggressive / destructive and hard to get rid of should you decide you don't like it. Do a Google search for "can you plant bamboo near a pool" most of the results will be why you shouldn't.

I would not suggest bamboo either!! The previous owners thought it would be a great privacy around the pool. It does provide privacy but it also provides hundreds of leaves in the pool every time the wind blows. It is also very hard to control. I have it shooting up 20 feet from where it was planted. The roots are are very hard, just like the mature bamboo and run everywhere!

Re: bamboo, this will have to be in a container anyway, and about 10 ft above ground level, so rhizome spread wouldn't be an issue, but the debris generated would. I will take a photo of the location, and save the 1000 words! ;)

IMG_1594.jpg

Last edited:
The pot/plant would go on the other side of the spa but on this side of the fence. This is a temporary solution, (2-3 yrs.) and I'm really looking for species direction. We will be planting a tree on the backside which is 10-12' below the deck surface, so it will take a few years to get to the desired height.

Good ideas! I'm liking the Muso Basjoo idea for it's tropical appearance. The arborvitae would probably be less imposing (spreading) since the deck area there is only about 40" wide. These are choices I probably wouldn't have considered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.