Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground pool Skimmer/filter *3 year old here need help please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Above ground pool Skimmer/filter *3 year old here need help please!

I have an Intex above ground pool 18 x 52, it has a sand and salt water pump.
    It has a wall mount skimmer, and I was wondering if it needs a filter in it,
    and if so, what size? The skimmer doesn't seem to work, not pulling in debris.
    I put a rock in it to hold it down, but it still doesn't work right. Help please?
    Thanks so much!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above ground pool Skimmer/filter *3 year old here need help please!

Hello and welcome to TFP! Those factory over-the-wall skimmers are not the most efficient skimmers. The basket is designed to catch some debris (i.e. leaves, toys, etc) before water goes into the suction back to the pump. Because those baskets a lightweight plastic, they tend to float-up sometimes. They do not have a filter since the filter is with the pump - in your case sand. What many AGP owners do who decide to keep their pool for a while is actually cut into the side and install a thru-wall skimmer, just like a regular pool. The wider mouth opening pulls surface water in better and is much more efficient at cleaning the surface. There are several threads and examples here by searching from the Home Page.

Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!