SWG Pre-install Water Prep Advice

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
Purchased a Hayward SWG and prior to installing, the mfg recommends adding metal remover and algaecide to the water. Manual states for all pool sizes:

"The pool's chemistry must be balanced BEFORE activating the SwimPure Plus. NOTE: If the pool does not have new water, add 1 quart (1 liter) of metal remover and 1 quart (1 liter) of non-copper based algaecide to the pool, per manufacturer's instructions. This ensures a quick, troublefree transfer to the SwimPure Plus system."

I'd appreciate your expert advice on the following couple issues:

1. I purchased a quart of Proteam Metal Remover and a quart of Polyquat 60 but am unsure of the best application method. Do I add the products one after the other on the same day or a few hours or a day apart? Also, shall I add the entire amount per the mfg recommendations? Seems like that quantity may be overkill for my pool size which is aprox 13,500 gallons.

2. Next, my CH is a bit low for optimum SWG water balance. Since tentative plans are to install the SWG on Friday I will do the above prep first and then increase the CH after the install. Any problem with that?

Current test readings from a few minutes ago (added borates 56 hours ago):
FC: 3
PH: 7.6
TA: 100
CH: 70
CYA: 75

Your levels look fairly good. Since you have a vinyl pool, your CH level is fine where it is.

The metal remover and algaecide aren't really required, they are more of an insurance policy to guard against some rather unlikely events. They won't really hurt, but I wouldn't bother adding them.

If you aren't installing and turning on the SWG right away, I would keep your FC level at 6 or higher until you get the SWG running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.