Confused: Jandy IQ20RS, Intelliflo VS, Intellicom II

May 9, 2011
SoCal
So, I have a Jandy pool System.

Last year, I upgraded my main pool pump, and installed the IntelliFlow VS pump.
In order to control the VS pump, I upgraded my Jandy controls to the IQ20-RS control system.

The upgrade was pretty easy, and i was able to connect the VS pump using the old relay (#1) and the RS485 to the control cable from the VS.
Everything worked.

However, I ran into a problem where the control board on the Intelliflow died.
Pentair replaced it, but said that the issue was that I was not using their "Intellicom II" control interface as an interface between the Jandy controller and the Intelliflow pump. They said that the warranty would be void if I did not use this interface.

Since then, I've been running with the pump disconnected from the controller, essentially as a single-speed pump.

So, I finally got around to ordering, and installing the Intellicom II controller.

The Instructions said to connect the Power from the Jandy RS485 to the Intellicom RS485, to connect the data from the Intelliflow pump to the Intellicom RS485 and to connect the RELAY from the Intellicom2 to the JandyRS.

nothing works.

From what I can figure out.

With the original system.
The Jandy RS Relay #1 went to the power interface, and would power the Pump on and off.
The RS485 on the Jandy would then speak to the Pump, telling it what speed to run at.

The new system has the Intellicom controller acting as a middle-man.
However, there is nothing to power the pump ON, so the pump never comes on.

Also, with the new system setup, even if the pump was powered on, and the control system from the Intellicom to the pump were working, then I cannot see how the Jandy would be able to see the speed data from the pump, and would not be able to control the speed.

What am I missing?

The pump needs to be wired to the breaker and remain powered up at all times. The speeds 1-4 are preset at the pump controller (either leave defaults or set your own) then the relay selects the speed.

Call Jandy again. You'll most likely talk to someone else. Explain the problem to them again, see what the new guy says. You don't need an Intellicom. Not sure why they would have told you that, other than the first guy didn't know what he was talking about...

Okay, so I found this thread.
Operate new Pentair Intelliflo VS pump w/ Jandy Aqualink RS?

From what I can figure out, this allows me to control the Intelliflow using 4 pre-set speeds from the Jandy, hooking them up to 4 relays on the Jandy.
In the scenario the pump would be directly connected to the power, and essentially connected all the time.

However, since I have a Jandy that can speak directly to the Intelliflow, I really cannot understand why I need the IntelliCom controls.

As a side note, it was PENTAIR that said I needed the Intellicom2, and not using it would void the PENTAIR warranty on the pump.

About the only thing I can com e up with is...

Directly connected to the Jandy, the pump is powered up/down by the relay, and then the speed is set by the RS485 controller.
When using the Intellicom, the pump is powered all the time, and then told to run at XXX speed again over the RS485, including when stopped.

About the only difference between the two approaches is that the Intellicom solution does not power the controller on the pump on and off all the time - and it was the controller that died last time.

In theory the Jandy SHOULD be capable of leaving the pump on all the time, and using the same control codes to change the speed of the pump from zero (off) through the other speeds that I would like to use.

Does anyone have any idea if Jandy can do this?

That is the BIG question. What you say, power from breaker or relay and then RS485 to control pump speed is how a Pentair pump connected to Pentair automation works. But, whether Jandy's RS485 cable speaks the same language as Pentair's RS485 cable is the question.

Very annoying that Pentair says Intellicomm is required to maintain warranty on the pump! First I've heard that. :thumbdown:

You dont need an Intellicom, if you have a Jandy IQ20RS.
If you have a Jandy AQUALINK RS, you do.

You do however need to tell the IQ20RS that you have a intelliflow pump hooked up to be able to control it. You will need to go to the Jandy site on a desktop computer, register, and all that good stuff, and select your pump while you are signed in. I cant remember if you can do this on your phone app yet or not. I do know that you could not when they first rolled out the software.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.