Lost Filter Pressure

Jun 30, 2015
Washington/DC
Looking for some advice here before needing to call in an expert. Returned home tonight from two days out of town to find filter pressure around 6psis. Just installed a new Pentair Tagelus 60d ClearPro sand filter two weeks ago after my Apollo DE filter had some issues. The new filter had been running at 10-14 psis since installation.

Last night upon returning I noticed the water flow was bad so cleared the skinner basket (while it had stuff in it, it was not totally full). Water level was unusually high due to rain on Friday so drained some (using the waste setting on the filter). Upon restarting the filter is when no pressure was registering and very little was coming out the return jets.

Cleaned pump basket, checked to verify nothing was clogging the impeller and nothing was clogging the pipe entrances at the bottom of the skimmer. I could feel suction pulling water in but it didn't feel as strong. No other signs of suction side leak either.

Only out of the ordinary routine care was over the course of the last week I've added two gallons of liquid stabilizer (call me lazy for not using the cheaper granulated stabilizer, but I wanted the instant "gratification" / chlorine protection. Come to think of it after I added the first gallon the pressure came down from 14 to 10 overnight. Anyone hear of liquid stabilizer causing plumbing issues, or am I dealing with a potential clog somewhere else in the line?

I was running the pump 24 / 7 while I was gone but that is because I need a replacement timer. Turned the pump off and will try playing around with it more tomorrow evening. Any advice?

Last test results from Fri morning.

FC - 11
CC - 0
TA - 90
CH - 225
CYA - not quite 20 yet
Ph - 7.4

Seems like you have check the things that should be checked first. Can you give us some details about your pool, pump size etc.?

If this is an above ground pool, check that your hose from skimmer to pump is not collapsing when the pump is on.

Signature as follows for some reason not showing even though box is checked. Apollo filter replaced as noted above. Main pump is a 1 hp pump.

28,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, kidney shape with bump out and built-in spa
Apollo VA-52 DE filter with Sta-Rite main pump / Polaris PB4-60 booster pump for Polaris vac-sweep,
Raypak propane heater
TF 100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

A drop in pressure is a good indicator of a partial blockage on the suction side. Of course, you should eliminate a faulty gauge but it sounds like you are getting reduced flow which confirms the low psi.

So, somewhere between the pump and the skimmer, I think something is partially blocking your flow. It could be a clog around the impeller but it sounds like you have checked that.

So, your puzzle should certainly be solved on the suction side of your system. There is nothing else I can think of that would cause the psi drop that you see.

Rechecked my steps this evening with more daylight, patience, and a very helpful wife. It was a clogged impeller. The end of a hanger wasn't quite doing the trick so she found a brush for cleaning straws and was able to get in there good to clear out the pine needles and other debris that got through the strainer basket.

That is good news!

For some reason the show sig box under the text box wasn't checked. I checked it and signature is now visible. Double check on your next post that it is checked under the text box and after that it should stay checked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.