Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to make sure when pump goes on SWCG goes on?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to make sure when pump goes on SWCG goes on?

So my I currently have a timer like this (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...e77c3d_400.jpg).

The "timing" portion of it no longer works (it doesnt spin ever). I bought a hayward VSP which has a timer built into to it and I have the old timer on manual "on" at all times an just use the timer built into the pump.

I plan on adding a SWCG and want this to go on only when the pump is on, How can I do this now that I have the main old timer always on?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to make sure when pump goes on SWCG goes on?

Get the Hayward automation with salt. Use it to control the pump and swg. What model vsp do you have?

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You can also just program the salt system to match the times you set for the pump. Have the salt come on 5 min after the pump and stop 5 min before the pump shuts off. All the systems I have seen have a flow sensor so there is not much danger of the cell turning on without the pump running.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

That should work with Hayward automation. You could get something like the AquaPlus instead of an AquaRite. Make sure that it has the latest software version. Is there any other equipment that you want to control?

Note: Confirm with Hayward to make sure that everything will work like you want. Sometimes things don't work like you might expect.

6. Back To Top    #6

The Pentair Intellichlor SWG has a flow switch that will turn the unit on when flow is detected. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

7. Back To Top    #7

They all have a flow switch. However, it should not be the only interlock. It should be secondary to a primary interlock. If enough chlorine gas and hydrogen gas build up, the gas mixture can explode.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, so ive decided that the best course of action is going to be to use a current sensing relay that will turn on the SWG when the pump is drawing power. Would anybody know what relay model # I would need to do this? As well as an enclosure?

9. Back To Top    #9

By the time you buy and hook up the Aquarite and sensing relay it would probably be cheaper and easier to get the AquaPlus. The AquaPlus comes with the aquarite system and cell.