Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help getting pool straightened out

1. Back To Top    #1

Whiting, Iowa

Help getting pool straightened out

Need some advice, my pool water is very clear but green looking and emerald green looking in the deep end. I've dropped about $300 on chemicals, mostly phosphate removers, I'm just curious if I'm better off burning everything out with liquid chlorine. I live in a small town surrounded by corn fields and I'm sure my inground pool is getting chauked full of fertilizer from spraying. I had copper issues from well water last year and this definitely looks different. Clear but emerald green instead of cloudy and aqua green. Here are some of my test numbers.
    Thanks for any tips, just tired of spending a fortune on chemicals. Also, pool is. 42' x 21' inground with a vinyl liner
    CYA 49
    Tot C 2.7
    Free C 0.3
    pH 7.2
    Tot Alk 114
    Tot hard 212
    Tot copper 0.2

2. Back To Top    #2
    Northern IL

Re: Help getting pool straightened out

Instead of spending a fortune on pool store chemicals, I would recommend buying a Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    No more trips to the pool store and we can fix you up with the RIGHT chemicals to fix your pool, mostly bought at the grocery or big box stores for much cheaper. Give it a go!!!
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

That could be metal in the water again, more here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

+1 for getting a good test kit, testing your own water and only adding what it needs. I use the TF-100 from
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

A pic of that green would help. Copper very rarely comes from a well. Copper is commonly found in the pool because there are too many copper laden chemicals that have been put in.

So, where to start?? That pool sounds like it is maybe 15,000 gallons? You could simply drain and refill for maybe $100 but that's city water. can your well provide the capacity? I(f so, you should have the well analyzed to see what you end up with.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School