Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Idea on water clearing

1. Back To Top    #1

Idea on water clearing

So the pool water has been cloudy for the last week or two. Water chemistry seems to be good.

FC 3
    TC 3
    TA 150
    PH 7.2 (Was 7.6 with a TA of 190...just lowered hoping to clear cloudiness )
    CH 200
    CYA 15

I tried putting in the cellulose product from Leslies to boost my filter performance 2 weeks ago. I had a large issue with Metals at the beginning of the season and there was a lot of rusty water coming out of the filter after my first shocking. Was supposed to be the same stuff as "sparkle up" and would catch a much smaller micron

The filter is randomly puffing Orange plumes back into the pool when I turn it to high or if I lose prime when I'm vacuuming. I tried using skimmer socks and have been catching orangey stuff that seems the consistency of cellulose.

At this point, I am assuming that the cellulose caught some of the iron in the filter and has since been blown into the pool. I have no idea how this happened I've been backwashing a lot more than I should ever have to.

Pool builder is going to take a look at the filter tomorrow, I talked to Hayward they have no ideas.

My thought is this shock tomorrow am, turn the filter off tomorrow night to let everything settle. Though i shocked last week to no avail and am still terrified of shocking after the pool turned black from manganese the first time.

New robotic cleaner is supposed to be here on Tuesday, use that to vacuum anything heavy that is settled to the bottom. Included are pictures of the water and the skimmer socks.

Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated!

Should I just try turning the filter off for a bit? It's been running for 2 weeks straight. I didn't have the robot before and am thinking maybe some settling might be a good thing.

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter with 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Idea on water clearing

Cellulose is very fine and sometimes it blows back out of the filter. My old DE filter did the same thing when I switched the pump to high speed (1hp). It would blow a plume of DE or cellulose for a few seconds at when started. Try backwashing the filter to remove the cellulose and turn off the pump overnight to let the cellulose in the pool settle to the floor and then vacuum slowly as so not to disturb the cellulose layer on the floor.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! The 24/7 thing didn't seem to be working, but pool builder keeps saying I need to run the pump more to clear it.

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter with 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Are you filling from a well? That looks like iron. Your filter is doing it's job....catching and filtering out debris and (probably) iron from your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, from a well, but through a filter that was *supposed* to catch metals. Filter is catching it, not really raising psi and then blowing back into to pool. Loving the skimmer socks right now

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

There is no mechanical method of removing soluble iron. You will be dealing with it in one form or another because of your source water.

You will need some sequestrant very soon and then you will need to "boost" that sequestrant every couple of weeks.....that'll keep the metal invisible but it will always be in your pool. manageable, but still there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! We have manganese and copper too. Definitely keeping up on the sequestrant!

8. Back To Top    #8

You can add your pool info to your signature so it will show up on every post, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Another basket full this morning

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

Been reading more about what this stuff is and now thinking it is just POLLEN after I just cleaned this off my table on the deck. I don't think it is cellulose any more

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter S166T with 1.5 hp 2 speed Variflo pump

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

For the skimmers, you may find that hair nets are easier than the skimmer socks. With the hair nets, you just toss them instead of needing to rinse/clean them. Not the most ecologically friendly I suppose, but very handy.

I am using them during the spring for the heavy pollen season (and many others here use them too). I also have two dogs that are considering whether or not they will be water dogs - in which case they may get used full-time as fur nets to keep my filter cartridges cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Hai...=1&*entries*=0
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!