Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PSA: Be careful handling chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

PSA: Be careful handling chemicals

I shouldn't be allowed to handle a kitchen knife, let alone pool chemicals.

MA Burns....

And Chlorine will ruin your cloths....

Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: PSA: Be careful handling chemicals

Always be careful when adding chem's please.. and I have a couple pair of clothes like that
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

One of my favorite t-shirts from circa mid 1990s got it today because I absent-mindedly rubbed the lid seal of a bleach bottle against it today...

Careful with that MA!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Glad you showed that to help others, pinguy.

I've done the same on my legs and learned to watch for those tiny splashes and rinse it off. I think if it got past my glasses and into my eyes, I'd dive in the pool!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Surprised with the Muriatic Acid burns. I asked my PB about this and he poured some from the bottle into his palm/ fingers and said that it does not have much strength.

But he warned me about Cyanuric Acid...that will apparently burn and is much much more dangerous.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by philboyj View Post
    Surprised with the Muriatic Acid burns. I asked my PB about this and he poured some from the bottle into his palm/ fingers and said that it does not have much strength.

But he warned me about Cyanuric Acid...that will apparently burn and is much much more dangerous.
    Your pool builder has it backwards.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Your pool builder has it backwards.
    I can only go by what I see in person. While pouring Muriatic Acid as part of start up, he poured it on his hand to demonstrate.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by philboyj View Post

It won't burn if you wash it off right away, I just didn't get it off fast enough. It went from a slight tingle to a "OUCH" after about a minute.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

9. Back To Top    #9

Muriatic acid can burn your skin....it just takes A LOT longer to do so than other acids. The reason why is that your skin is oily and has a relative thick lipid layer near the surface. Both of these are fairly resistant to the "acidity" of HCl (organic compounds getting protonated). Other acids, like sulfuric acid (H2SO4), are very powerful desiccants (absorbs water) and the bisulfite anion (HSO4-) is very good at breaking up organic bonds. Also, the heat of hydration for sulfuric acid is incredibly high while for HCl it is not. So, when you get sulfuric acid on your skin it is literally stripping the water out of the skin cells, as that reaction is occurring the near surface temperature of the solution is rising above the boiling point of water and the bisulfate anion is destroying organic compounds very rapidly. HCl is very much slower at this. Other acids have different properties that make them dangerous - nitric acid is a powerful oxidizer, hydrofluoric acid will strip calcium from your bloodstream and bones and kill you, etc, etc.

So the net take away is that you can actually get quite a large amount of HCl on your skin and, if you wash it off in a reasonable time frame, nothing will happen to you. The tell tale sign of a small droplet of HCl on the skin is that you will feel like something is pinching you, like a pin prick. So if you're working with acid and you feel like something is pinching your skin, it's not a mosquito; you likely got a little splash of MA on you. Easiest thing to do to fix it - dive in the pool!!

As for bleach....well, I did not respond to this right away because I don't want to sound snarky BUT......how the heck did you spill that much bleach on yourself??? Seriously, I've poured lots of bleach in my pool over the years and I have never ruined one single piece of clothing do it....I just don't get it....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    As for bleach....well, I did not respond to this right away because I don't want to sound snarky BUT......how the heck did you spill that much bleach on yourself??? Seriously, I've poured lots of bleach in my pool over the years and I have never ruined one single piece of clothing do it....I just don't get it....
    It was a 5 gallon carboy, which is much harder to handle than 1 gallon jug. They are filled to the brim too. I was filling a 150 gallon tank and had to lift it up to shoulder level or so, I fumbled and got it all over the front of myself.

It won't happen again, lesson learned the hard way. Actually I'm lucky I didn't get any in my eyes, THAT would have been learning the hard way.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    It was a 5 gallon carboy, which is much harder to handle than 1 gallon jug. They are filled to the brim too. I was filling a 150 gallon tank and had to lift it up to shoulder level or so, I fumbled and got it all over the front of myself.

It won't happen again, lesson learned the hard way. Actually I'm lucky I didn't get any in my eyes, THAT would have been learning the hard way.
    Dude....you are sooooo lucky!! Bleach in the eyes would be BAD!! Please, for your own safety, get a transfer pump and a good pair of safety goggles! I know a t-pump will set you back a few dollars but it is well worth it if you have to deal with that much liquid transfer. Your eyesight is way more important than any stupid pool....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Dude....you are sooooo lucky!! Bleach in the eyes would be BAD!! Please, for your own safety, get a transfer pump and a good pair of safety goggles! I know a t-pump will set you back a few dollars but it is well worth it if you have to deal with that much liquid transfer. Your eyesight is way more important than any stupid pool....
    I agree completely, it was a very stupid mistake. It's usually delivered and pumped by a truck. Like I said, it's NOT happening again.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

13. Back To Top    #13

The cuts / welts on your hand...were they caused by the acid or just scars from where PB sucked out all the blood..lol

14. Back To Top    #14

I was hoping JoyfulNoise would jump in on that one

Weaker muriatic such as 20% and below is also a significant difference from 31%. Rinsing within a few minutes is all I've ever needed. The heads-up on a pinch feeling is helpful, thanks. Bleach on clothes?... I'm way more careful since the dirty looks from my better half who gave me the shorts for Christmas!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

15. Back To Top    #15

I measure and pour MA in the garage on my bench. I keep a large plastic pitcher there about 3/4 full of water with a cup of baking soda added to it. Any time i get a little splash on my hand or arm I stick my hand in the pitcher or splash a little on my arm to neutralize things. I also throw the funnel in there after use.

As far as bleach....i got some t shirts and shorts like yours. Maybe we will start a new fashion trend...along with safety glasses.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir