Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lost!

1. Back To Top    #1

Lost!

I had high cya and drained half or more of my water. Refilled and balanced - have yet to get my chlorine right. I have added 2 gallons of bleach the last two days and I can't even get chlorine to register. Using Taylor k-2006
    Help!
    BTW pool is sparkly clean and balanced within pH and TA tolerances

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lost!

Well, it's good your water is clear, so let's keep it that way shall we? How are you testing the FC? Is it with the 25ml sample? If so, try the 10 ml sample as follows:
    10 ml sample size, one heaping scoop of powder (should turn Barbie pink right away), then count the drops. Take number of drops and divide by 2. Example: 14 drops = FC of 7.

If your sample did not turn pink after adding powder, then you have no chlorine. A pool will use anywhere from 2-4 ppm of FC each day. So depending upon the size of your pool (which you need to add to your signature by the way), you could use-up bleach fairly quickly.

If this doesn't seem to help, you may want to post a full set of test results (to include CYA) so we can analyze everything together.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tried the 10ml.......still no chlorine. 18x38 pool. 9.5 deep end. Will do fI'll chemical analysis this am

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are still showing no chlorine, then you may have something else happening in your water left-over from the winter that's eating that bleach. We may need to get more aggressive. So once you post your next set of results, we'll give you some more instructions on what to do next.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

PH 7.0
    TA 60 ppm
    Chlorine is zero as best as I can tell and I added a gallon of bleach this am
    Cya 45

I am stumped......

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

Raise FC to 10ppm with the pump running, brush and test again in 10 minutes, repeat as needed until FC holds.

Please add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is often an important factor when we are helping you with your pool. Also, please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you diagnose the problem. More here on adding a signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I recently went through this. I was registering TC and then all of a sudden it went to zero, added about 3 gallons of bleach in less than 24 hours. Under normal circumstances in my 12k gallon pool that would throw my TC off the charts but it kept reading zero. My CYA was about 60.

In any case, I started a SLAM and it started registering in a few hours after getting the TC up to SLAM level to kill whatever it was.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi guys,
    I am in NW TN....weather is good here right now. sunny and 80's but about to get really hot....90+
    Since yesterday I have put 6 gallons of bleach in my pool and still cannot get chlorine to register......what gives?
    And let me be more specific......I am using the 10ml sample size and I will put anywhere from 4-6 scoops of the R0870 powder into the vial and nothing happens or at best it might have a slight tinge of pink if held just right.....which to me says no chlorine or so little chlorine that it might as well be none.
    Just to give you an idea - this morning when I went to rinse the comparator tube after having put 4 scoops of powder in with no color change I rinsed with tap water and it turned immediately a very dark pink. Which tells me my tapwater has much more chlorine in it than my pool which can't be good right?
    So according to the SLAM chart I need to raise my chlorine to 16 but if 6 gallons of bleach dont't even register how will I ever get it that high?
    Also - just as a sidenote my pool is clear and clean.....although PH may be a touch low at 7.0......speaking of which what do I use to raise that?
    WAZOO
    18 x 38 (9.5 ft deep end) , vinyl liner, chlorine pool, 4 cyclinder cartridge filter
    Northwest Tennessee

9. Back To Top    #9

Since we expect you will perform a SLAM, I would not raise the pH from 7.0 at this time. It will be fine for now. Yes, local tap water has a small amount of chlorine, so at least you know what the powder should look like when it turns pink. As for the powder, only ONE heaping scoop. Adding that much more is just a waste to you and we don't want that. No reaction or pink means your FC is getting chewed-up FAST by the sun and/or organics in the water. You will need to stick by the pool for the better part of a day to test every 10 minutes, increase FC back to 10, and re-test over & over. That's the only way. You could dump 20 gallons in there and it won't work as designed if you can't sustain it evenly and consistently. So that is definitely key. 10 ML sample is good to use. So continue to use a 10 ml sample, one heaping scoop of powder, count number of drops until clear and divide by 2. Example: 14 drops = FC of 7.

10. Back To Top    #10

How many gallons of bleach do you think I will need to start with? Or use total?

11. Back To Top    #11

Please add pool info to signature.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

Very difficult to say. I'm estimating your pool to be about 23,500 gallons. To raise FC from zero to 10 takes 2 gallons and 3 quarts worth of 8.25% bleach. So almost 3 gallons initially, then if that drops quickly in 10 minutes, another 3 gallons, etc etc ..... until FC starts to hold at 10. Initially you could find yourself using 15-20 gallons easily in the beginning. When you start though, you must stay close and re-test and adjust FC every 10 minutes.

13. Back To Top    #13

I got on the computer this am and added it....wonder why it is not showing?
    WAZOO
    18 x 38 (9.5 ft deep end) , vinyl liner, chlorine pool, 4 cyclinder cartridge filter
    Northwest Tennessee

14. Back To Top    #14

Not sure. But the Poolmath tab is also on the home page and embedded into my signature at the bottom of each of my posts.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
    I got on the computer this am and added it....wonder why it is not showing?

Needed to check the show sig box under the text box.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok.....slamming now. Overshot a little. Just checkled and FC is 15 ( was supposed to get to at least 10) ......how long should I hold it there?
    WAZOO
    Northwest Tennessee

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
    Ok.....how long should I hold it there?
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
    You are done when:
    CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie
    overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

18. Back To Top    #18

You'll continue to maintain your FC SLAM level as long as it takes until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM page (link below). Test the FC frequently at first to ensure the FC holds steady and fight's-off the initial surge of organics in the water. The first couple hours are critical. Make sure to follow all the directions on the SLAM page and do your best to "maintain" that SLAM FC throughout the day and night before you hit the bed. Good luck!