Milky Backwash Water

New pool owner here. The pool, 24ft above ground, came with my new house. Ever since I opened the pool this year the water has been cloudy. All of the chemicals are reading where they're supposed to be. I've shocked it as needed and run the pump 4 hours during the day and 4 hours at night. When I Backwash, which I've been doing frequently due the the cloudy water, the water coming out of the filter is milky colored. We've also noticed some sand in the bottom of the pool. Are these issues connected and how can I fix it? We really have no idea how to care for this thing as we've never had one before.

Hi Paradisecity,

Being a new pool owner can be a bit stressful and baffling. Certainly understandable as we have all been there at 1 time or another. We can help you though, and its easy to take care of your own pool with just a few minutes a day maintenance.

It makes sense that if you dont know what the chemical levels are, then you dont know what the pool needs. Right?
We promote getting your own test kit. TFP recommends getting the TF100. Its the best investment you can make.
Available at http://www.tfteskits.net or on Amazon. The Taylor K2006C is a comparable kit. No other test kits or strips are very accurate and we dont recommend them.

Next, I suggest you familiar yourself with the ABCs of pool chemistry. Click the Pool School button at top of page.
the ABCs are not difficult and will teach you what each water paramater is and how it reacts with others.

Continue to read pool school to familiarize yourself and get used to the terminology so you'll understand what we're talking about when we give advice.

Now,
about that pool of yours and the cloudiness. The cloudiness is most likely caused by being on the verge of an algae outbreak. Shocking the pool in the sense of throwing a bag of shock in there is not going to solve it. You will need to SLAM the pool (slam included in Pool School), but you need a reliable test kit of your own in order to do it.

Once we get your test kit, and you test the water and then post the test results here, we will be able to give better advice on clearing it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.