Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high conditioner

1. Back To Top    #1

high conditioner

Getting ready to slam and started by raising ph 6.8 I added 16 lbs of borax and now ph is 7.5 but conditioner jumped to 100 FROM 40 HELP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: high conditioner

Hello and welcome to TFP! Raising pH with borax is fine, but it won't have any effect on your CYA. CYA is increased by products that have stabilizer in them, either by adding a granule/liquid stabilizer/conditioner, or repetitive use of chlorine tablets/bags of shock.

Can you tell us how you are testing? Also please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome. Exactly how did the CYA level------jump?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure , went up after adding borax and testing 3 hours later using test strips to get a rough idea where it was. Will test with Taylor kit on Monday
    18x36 inground vinyl liner, DE filter, Taylor test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Throw the test strips as far as you can throw them. CYA can only increase if you put more in. Another testimonial to the complete worthlessness of test strips.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Stop. You cannot SLAM with test strips. Period. There's a reason the SLAm article lists as FAS-DPD tester as a prerequisite.

Using test strips, you're working practically blind. At high FC levels, the color pads will bleach out, so even if they were accurate in the beginning they still wouldn't work. Try to paint a picture in the dark. Odds are you'll get paint on the canvas but it won't look like what you wanted. All you'll have done is make a mess and waste paint. Chlorine is the paint and the pool is the canvas. The test kit is the light you use to see by.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

We prefer to read test strips face down in the trash can. I wish I could remember who said that to give proper credit, but I can't.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe we should give those test strips away to someone at the pool store. Just kidding of course well maybe no not really... 😀

Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

So are you sure you don't like test strips? Tested with taylor kit ph 7.4 cya 75. Dumping 10000 gals refill and start to slam on tues. I sure hope that will do it.
    I will let you know and thanks for the advice. Total water in pool is 25000 gals
    18x36 inground vinyl liner, DE filter, Taylor test kit